Competition Thighs

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I had a pretty successful practice tonight. I tried a new inject and cook timing, and swapped around two different rubs and two different sauce mixtures, ending up with 4 groups, one was my clear favorite

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

The title of your post caught my eye. I thought you were cooking for the Rockettes.
Your dedication to comp chicken is inspiring. Keep up the good work. Your posts always blow me out of the water.

Beautiful pictures of perfect food, as always Jeff.
Maybe it is a shame that you're so mysterious about rubs and sauce mixtures.
I know, I know:rolleyes:, but at least some indicia?;)

I think you made the right choice, at least based on appearance. I bet they tasted as good as they looked. I'm in charge of chicken at a competition this weekend. Hope mine turn out as well as yours did.

curious Jeff...
in Milwaukee, there is a place called Tower Chicken... supposably sells farm-fresh chicken...
I've tried it, and yes, it's better than grocer store bought bird.
Where do you buy your bird parts for competition?

Beautiful pictures of perfect food, as always Jeff.
Maybe it is a shame that you're so mysterious about rubs and sauce mixtures.
I know, I know:rolleyes:, but at least some indicia?;)
I agree, beautiful pictures of food, but nothing to help us make it.
Your secrets are safe with us Jeff. :rolleyes:

curious Jeff...
in Milwaukee, there is a place called Tower Chicken... supposably sells farm-fresh chicken...
I've tried it, and yes, it's better than grocer store bought bird.
Where do you buy your bird parts for competition?

I've been sticking with a brand called Amish Valley, that they sell at a supermarket near me. The meat guy there recommended it to me and it got me a view calls so I stick with it. My gut tells me it's only marginally better than a cheaper brand.

I cooked a real farm chicken from my friend's farm and, like you said, very different. The hard part would be the quantity I'd need to fill a box. Also I found the legs to be much tougher and required extra love since they are so well exercised. And I don't think I have it in me to do what I did to these thighs to a beautiful farm bird.

I agree, beautiful pictures of food, but nothing to help us make it.
Your secrets are safe with us Jeff. :rolleyes:

I'm sort of following the Wicked Good recipe. The darker thighs have my rub on it, which I've published before here on the forum, the lighter thighs have the Wicked Good "White Rub" on them. I boosted the broth inject with salt, honey, msg, and phosphates (mmmmm :p), and the smoother looking thighs were dipped in a mix of bbq sauce and the hot tub liquid (which is a mixture of unsalted butter, the inject, and any chicken juice/fat).

I'm working on a low and slow approach as I'm looking for tender juicy thighs. I'm finally getting around to applying some sous vide knowledge to bbq and I think the investment into sv is starting to make sense (after all I did get into sv to master getting meat to tender with out drying it out)

Can't imagine how hard it would be to find enough farm raised thighs. We cook at least 18 every comp. Cooking isn't the hard part, it is preping all of them! I hate it.

Great looking thigh's Jeff! You are a true artist! I can almost taste them thru your pics! Thanks for sharing some of the secrets with us as well!

WOW, I have been doing thighs for some time since I learned about them here. I have never had the skin stay in one piece on the thigh like that. They look great! Good luck on your competition.

Back