Coming back to the WSM

Steve Kirks

ETA: found Chris’ assembly instructions on the main site and I’ll review them first including how to fix minor issues.
—-

Hey there VWB family! I joined up years ago when I got my first 18” WSM and sold it last year when it was fully worn out. I ended up getting a cheap Platypus kettle to tide me over but I knew it was a stop gap.

Today at my local Ace Hardware I found an 18” floor model marked down to $250 so now I’m back. It looks like it’s loosely assembled and some of the screws don’t go past the nut. I’m thinking of a complete disassembly and reassembly to check for issues.

Are any of the bolts longer than others? Anything I should do before my first cook?

Last edited:
ETA: found Chris’ assembly instructions on the main site and I’ll review them first including how to fix minor issues.
—-

Hey there VWB family! I joined up years ago when I got my first 18” WSM and sold it last year when it was fully worn out. I ended up getting a cheap Platypus kettle to tide me over but I knew it was a stop gap.

Today at my local Ace Hardware I found an 18” floor model marked down to $250 so now I’m back. It looks like it’s loosely assembled and some of the screws don’t go past the nut. I’m thinking of a complete disassembly and reassembly to check for issues.

Are any of the bolts longer than others? Anything I should do before my first cook?
Welcome back steve.

Not the same situation, but I think I’m coming back to the WSM again. I had an 18.5 for years, bought the bigger Smokefire gen 2 a few years back. While I’ve had a few problems, is general treated me well, but I’m kinda missing the old school WSM. It’s been sitting in my garage this whole time, but I think I’m gonna bust it back out in the spring.

I’d like to go for the S6 kamado to replace both my performer and WSM, then keep the Smokefire for when I’m lazy, but I missed the big Walmart sale and can’t justify spending $2K on it.

I would definitely take it apart and reassemble it, I personally like putting it together myself because the workers at these stores generally dont care about how well it is done. The wsm is the best smoker for the money imo and ive had a bunch of different ones

Steve, all of the above and run a small fire to burn off any manufacturing oils. Throw a few strips of bacon in as a sacrifice to the "Gods of Smoking". Have fun.

Back