Comcast Xfinity Thieves

Talk about thievery, this is gonna cost me some money. Its been very possible to watch all of my OU Sooner football games without paying ESPN/Disney their ransom, almost all the games are available OTA. But there's no doubt I'm gonna have to subscribe to a live streaming service this fall .

People are funny, they will complain to high heaven if the price of gasoline goes up. Accuse the oil/gas industry of price gouging, price fixing, all sorts of crap ............... but don't think anything about wildly overpaying for ESPN.

So ESPN gets Texas and Ok State games ...............man, they cherry picked the two games Sooner fans really really want to see.

ESPN to Carry Two of Oklahoma's Biggest Games This Fall

<shrug> Lynn, you think this is accidental? The top teams will always get the best media contracts, i.e. their organizations make the most money. That just gets passed downstream to you. AFAIC ESPN is concerned, you're the product, they're selling eyes on their media.

We use sling but I typically pick up the package with the SEC Network during college football season and drop it afterwards. I really wish they'd separate the NFL sunday ticket from Direct TV. I'd definitely pay for it, but I won't pay for Direct TV.

<shrug> Lynn, you think this is accidental? The top teams will always get the best media contracts, i.e. their organizations make the most money. That just gets passed downstream to you. AFAIC ESPN is concerned, you're the product, they're selling eyes on their media.

No, there's been very few Sooner games on ESPN. Big 12 has a contract with Fox Sports. And most of OU's biggest games have been broadcast on Fox OTA networks. Other than the Playoffs, the only games that ESPN has picked up have been OU vrs lower half of the conference.

IDK how or why ESPN gets involved this year, I suspect its because they've lost a ton of money over the past year due to covid. So now, maybe their calling in their chips. IDK what happened to the Fox contract.

I can't recall the last time ESPN did OU/Texas ............ its been a long long number of years.

These CFB TV contracts are pretty funky ............. which , I think this next round of negotiation is gonna be interesting, due to the impact of streaming. I don't see how ESPN can continue to pay out the wazzoo for this programming, seeing as how they're losing subscribers in droves.

We use sling but I typically pick up the package with the SEC Network during college football season and drop it afterwards. I really wish they'd separate the NFL sunday ticket from Direct TV. I'd definitely pay for it, but I won't pay for Direct TV.

I'm getting all the NFL I need or want, OTA. Except for Monday Night Football, which really, that game rarely interests me.

Though I think next year, Amazon will get the Thursday night game, or that may be this year, not sure when that starts. That's probably an omen of things to come.

I get all the games I want too, but my wife is a 49'rs fan. It's ridiculous how much they regulate what games can be shown in what market. Sometimes you can trick an app using a VPN but they've wised up to that and make you give access to your phone's location.

And reading that story closer, it says these OU games will be on the ESPN Family of networks, which includes ABC. So there's still a chance these games could be OTA on ABC.

Top Pay TV Providers Lost Nearly 1.9 Million Customers in Q1 2021

As more households trim their monthly entertainment budgets by cutting the cord and choosing on-demand streaming services, pay TV providers continue to see a decline in customers. Leichtman Research Group found that the largest pay TV providers in the US lost 1,895,646 video subscribers in Q1 2021.

The report shows that the top cable providers (including Comcast, Charter, Cox, Altice, Mediacom, Atlantic Broadband, and Cable One) lost 774,196 net video customers for the quarter. Other traditional services (AT&T Premium TV, Dish TV, Verizon FiOS, and Frontier were down 864,000 for the quarter. The total was rounded out by live TV streaming services. Hulu with Live, Sling TV, and fuboTV combined were down 257,450 for the quarter (though fuboTV along saw an increase of around 43,000.) Leichtman did not include YouTube TV or Philo as it didn’t have access to current subscriber numbers.

“Pay-TV net losses of about 1.9 million in 1Q 2021 were similar to the net losses in 1Q 2020,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. “Over the past year, top pay-TV providers had a net loss of about 4,790,000 subscribers, compared to a loss of about 5,125,000 over the prior year.”

Back