Cold Smoking Accessory

GrantT

TVWBB Fan
Sorry, was not sure about what forum to place this in...nothing seemed a perfect fit.

Anyways, has anyone tried a gadget like this for cold smoking (mostly interested in cheese, maybe salmon). Was thinking in the new WSK putting this in the lowest rack and lighting it up with pellets, then the deflector, then a pan with some cold water/ice to keep the temps nice and low...

1616425714435.png

GrantT

TVWBB Fan
That looks like it holds alot of product. pretty neat!
I have one of these, the 5 x 8.

Actually, when I dug into it closer....it is actually quite small...not large enough for pellet use I found out.

How does the A-MAZE-N work? Does it really burn as long as they state? 11 hours?

G Mouser

TVWBB Member
I have the A-Maze-N 5x8 also. I use it to smoke Cheese. It defiantly burns very slow and for a long time.

timothy

TVWBB Olympian
Actually, when I dug into it closer....it is actually quite small...not large enough for pellet use I found out.

How does the A-MAZE-N work? Does it really burn as long as they state? 11 hours?
I never tried 11 hours. Mostly a few for cheese, nuts, popcorn, tomatoes ,vegs.
I get the flavored sawdust from smokinlicious, but pellets work just as good.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Honor Circle
The trick is always trying to keep temps low and that might be challenging in that grill that's so efficient. You definitely don't need to smoke anything that long. I think the ice plan would help. I usually cold smoke cheese in the winter. I used a coffee can with a bunch of holes in it and some put some wood chips once and put a few lit charcoal briquettes in the bottom. That worked ok. I just had to add wood chips from time to time.

B.A. Poole

TVWBB Member
If your still looking for a way to cold smoke. I use an old Luhr Jensen like this for cold smoking. Things like eggs, cheese, homemade Canadian bacon, nuts, jerky, fish, etc. I have the original one I bought in 1986. They use shredded flavor wood but pellets work fine. It helps to hit pellets with a small propane touch for a bit.

1624071178703.png

Richard in NS

TVWBB All-Star
I made a copy of the Ama-z-in smoker out of perforated SS to use for cheese and it works fine with pellets. Like Dustin, I do mine in the winter when it is cold and two to three hours is usually enough. And like B A I use the propane torch to light it. 25BE8429-2889-4A85-AD25-2126D9C508F0.jpeg

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Olympian
I have the adjustable A-Mazen tube and it’s geniusfor cold smoking!a couple of minutes touching off the end, put it in the kettle and go have a nap! Yes, this is a better cool weather project, ambient temps are too high for a good cold smoke until...cooler temperatures return.
In Michigan, that could be Tuesday or maybe not until October!😉🍺

JayHeyl

TVWBB Pro
I've have an A-Maze-N 5x8. I've only used it a few times, always with sawdust. It has been difficult to get lit and to keep lit. I use a propane torch to light it but then have to blow on it for a long time to be sure it stays lit. Once it's going it will burn down the first row okay but will often not make the turn into the second row. I suppose I should try pellets some time to see if that makes a difference. Or maybe a mix of sawdust and pellets.

In my experience using sawdust, I'd say an 11 hour burn time is very conservative. I had some Canadian bacon on recently for six hours and it had just finished burning the first row when I took it off.

Tracy Seelhammer

TVWBB Member
I've have an A-Maze-N 5x8. I've only used it a few times, always with sawdust. It has been difficult to get lit and to keep lit. I use a propane torch to light it but then have to blow on it for a long time to be sure it stays lit. Once it's going it will burn down the first row okay but will often not make the turn into the second row. I suppose I should try pellets some time to see if that makes a difference. Or maybe a mix of sawdust and pellets.
I've only used pellets and have struggled with the 5x8. I have a heck of a time getting the pellets started and keeping the pellets going. The instructions say:
Set your MAZE on a level surface or grate. With a propane torch on low, light the pellets through the starter hole for 45 seconds. A small flame will appear on top of the pellets. Allow this flame to burn for 10 minutes – DO NOT RUSH THIS STEP.
I know my pellets are good, but they struggle to stay self lit for 10 minutes. I find myself laying the fire from a propane torch on it for 2-3 minutes just to get the first ones going, and then they either go out or start the row on fire (no bueno).
Also need to make sure I don't overfill the rows - I have successfully had the smolder jump a row and burn the whole thing out (with way too much smoke) in 2-3 hours.

I used my A-Maze-N in my vertical propane smoker (which I no longer own), and now with the WSMs I have, I'm not really sure where I would put it even if I wanted to use it.

Brett_Roundy

TVWBB Fan
The thing with smoking cheese is it sometimes just disappears...

When I had my old WMS (the new one is still in the box) I'd get four briquets going and shaped in a square on the charcoal grate, put a chunk of whatever wood I was using on top of them, put whatever cheese(s) I was smoking on the top grate and check it often

JayHeyl

TVWBB Pro
I know my pellets are good, but they struggle to stay self lit for 10 minutes. I find myself laying the fire from a propane torch on it for 2-3 minutes just to get the first ones going, and then they either go out or start the row on fire (no bueno).
I have exactly the same problem with sawdust. "Allow the flame to burn for 10 minutes"? I'd be happy if it burned for one minute. The few times I've had success I spent at least five minutes blowing on the red embers to get enough of a smolder going.

I'm wondering if part of the initial ignition problem is poor air flow. I originally packed the sawdust in, but the last few times I've just lightly poured it and did my best NOT to pack it down. Next time I think I'll use a thinner layer of sawdust near the lighting hole. That might help with air flow and allow a decent fire to get going. My only other thought is to drop a lit briquette at one end or maybe cut off a few larger pieces from a chunk of wood so a more substantial fire can get going.