Cleaning SS grates

I second that regarding Amazon. That being said, I just paid my one year membership for Prime a month ago. I guess I am just another sheep being led to the slaughter house.

Anyway, if you order direct, you will pay shipping. For me, that would $5.50 slow boat. Prime will have it here free shipping in two days. Amazon feeds you the crack and makes it hard to say no after that.

We do use Prime streaming video as well.

Not sure why people hate on Amazon. I fail to see what they do wrong. They give excellent service usually very good pricing, fast order delivery. What am I missing? Yeah I use brick and mortar stores also but stay away from those I feel over charge and under deliver. Many auto parts stores come under that heading to me. i.e. AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, RockAuto and so on. Walmart is another one I stay out of

Changing times. Change is hard sometimes. I just don't agree with your take on Walmart. No, they are not the end all be all, but for value, I think they do well.

Yah, I have to agree that the shopping experience isn't good at a walmart. But the prices and selection are still good.

I'm conflicted about amazon. It's so easy and convenient. Prices are goid. And it is an American company. But they have definitely severely hurt many brick and mortar businesses. And they are so big now. Almost a monopoly.

LMICHAELS I agree with you regarding walmart. We do shop there but in a limited fashion.

Finally figured out how to say this: Amazon is putting vendor practices, i.e. pay in 30/60/90 days into play for their sellers. If you sign up to use Amazon as a store front, you're completely beholden to Amazon business practices. Amazon collects from the purchaser immediately, and eventually forwards to the seller. In short, Amazon lives on the float of the purchases before sending it on the to storefront.

From the inside, I've also been led to believe that Amazon is a less than desirable employer, even as professional IT staff. While I have more than sufficient *ix and networking knowledge to be able to work on the Amazon Web Services back end and infrastructure tiers, I have little desire to go to such a dysfunctional environment.

JKalchik:
Where are you in SE Minn? I grew up in Winona.

But, yah, it is pretty well reported that Amazon has some pretty poor compensation practices with a lot of their employees. It would seem the public outcry would be louder against them than it is.

Bruce, I'm halfway between Rochester & St. Paul, in the sticks. I'm a transplant, thought, spent more than a couple of years outside of Chicago, but I'm really a Troll (came from just under da Mackinac Bridge.)

Winona is a nice area, from the couple of times I've toured down through there.

Troll....hahaha. Up in that area, you just have corn stalks to hide in.
Are you a Vikings fan or Bears fan?

Yup. Lots of cornstalks & soybeans.

I'll profess to not following professional sports practically at all these days. My [now former] employer had a fair amount of support for the big opening events at the new USBank Stadium, I won't have anything to do with it (too much public money spent on it for far too little public benefit.)

Just one more point about amazon. I'm not sure they are universally a poor employer? My oldest son is a manager at whole foods which is now owned by amazon. He makes a pretty good wage and his benefits are good. He's been happy with the way things have gone since amazon bought the company.

My daughter's friend works for Amazon. She works from home doing telephone support. She loves them. I'm not sure perhaps that all the bad things are nothing more than urban legend i.e. they're big they must be bad. For a long time Wally World used to carry that same stigma. I could not tell you as I have never sold from Amazon. All I can say is I purchase nearly everything either from them or flea bay and odds and ends from online retailers like SmallApplianceParts.com, GrillParts.com, what have you. I rarely go to B&M stores as I hate being treated like they're doing me a favor by being there.

...as I hate being treated like they're doing me a favor by being there.

That's an attitude that I don't deal well with either. I won't treat them like dirt, if I'm in there, I'm in there to buy something, not eyeball something, then go buy it somewhere else. There's [significant] value to me to be able to see something, and I'm willing to pay for it.

This kind of cracks me up how did a thread about cleaning grill grates turn into walmart, amazon or whoever you decide to buy from pros and cons hate the company love the company.

In the labor day shopping thread Peter asked the same thing "How does a thread about big scores become a biotch thread about fish?" My reply in that thread was that's how we roll here.

Sitting this one out entertaining for sure. :)

As for cleaning SS grates. I brush them with a GOOD wire brush. I am sorry short of the billy bar I don't see any other viable way to truly clean them. But than I wipe them down with one of 2 things. Sometimes just a wetted towel (water) which gets rid of any possible bristle contamination and the steam blasts off any remaining "bits" or if I am cooking something which might be a sticking issue a towel that I have oiled well with grape seed oil. In any case there is no worry of an errant bristle. Though in all honesty I have never found remnants either on my grates or in my grill boxes. Maybe because I avoid junky brushes. I like the Libman brushes from Menard's

Back