Cleaning SS grates

Bruce it was your endorsement of the Chargon specifically for RC stainless grates that made me pull the trigger!

Yah, some one else had mentioned that they work great on RCP grates and basically as good on the smaller diameter grates and that is what made me pull the trigger. They mentioned that the chargon is basically a 10mm opening so it barely fits the RCP grates witch is optimal.

I was thinking it would take a lot longer to clean the grates since you have to do each bar individually, but when I did it last night, I was surprised how clean it got them with just 2-3 swipes back and forth on each bar. I don't think it took more than a minute or so to clean my grates and when I checked them with my hand to see how clean they were, I was surprised. They were much cleaner than I was ever able to get them with a brush after a couple minutes of brushing. And, the bonus is that it not only gets the tops real clean, but it also cleans the sides very well too. I figure every few cooks, I can turn my grates over and do the bottoms as well to get them totally clean.

I really don't think they will jump in price like other items have, but if you can use one, I think you will be happy with the purchase.

Well heck; now I feel pressured to buy one.

The thing I would worry about is it the company goes under. It's a great product but kind of niche thing. Even though I'm unlikely to ever need another one I'm still going to purchase a second one for a spare. Just for insurance. I REALLY don't ever want to have to go back to brushes.

I am not sure, but I think they have been making the Chargon for a number of years already. But, if they were to go out of business, I am sure another company would buy the patent rights and start making them again. The profit margin has to be about 75% on them.

If not, like I said, I don't think it would be hard to find an inexpensive piece of SS flat stock and fabricate my own.

Haha. I can do a lot of DIY things (for a healthcare professional) but metal fabrication isn't one of them. I'd rather spend the 20 bucks.

I just got a Chargon today for using on my smoker SS grate from the Genesis smoker attachment. Taking it out of the package I noticed that the two prongs are not level. Is it supposed to be that way or did it get banged up in shipping? I can straighten it easy emough, but if it is supposed to be that way, so be it. I still use a regular wire brush on my cast iron grates.

The tip is angled but the two prongs should be level. Check out the pics on their site. I would send it back. Probably shipping damage as you stated. Must have been handled really really rough somehow. It's made of really stout stainless.

https://www.chargon.com

Greg M. You are correct. The President of Chargon had me send a photo of mine. A quick trip to the vice (not closed) got the errant prong in line with the other side. USPS triumphed again.

Greg M. You are correct. The President of Chargon had me send a photo of mine. A quick trip to the vice (not closed) got the errant prong in line with the other side. USPS triumphed again.

Dan I'm glad you got it fixed. Please let us know how it works for you.

Ordered a chargon from Amazon. Returned it since all scratched up with a splinter chunk on the handle. Paper padded bag did not survive USPS. Next one shipped the same but unscathed.
Using a wood scraper and this has been mostly effective on my new grates.
I'm considering using a drill to help the grooves along on wooden scraper.

I use a squirt bottle with water and spray my brush with it. Makes steam as soon as the brush hits the grates and cleans really well. Then I just use a wet paper towel to wipe the grates so there are none of the dreaded bristles left behind.

Back