Clean up process

CGariepy

TVWBB Fan
I was wondering what you all do to clean your beloved WSM?

I understand to get it seasoned, then make sure you water pan is lined or whatever. But do you do anything beyond keeping the grill grates clean?

thanks,

chris

Do a search and you will find a long list of things you can do. For me, the most important thing to clean other than the grates, water pan (dispose of grease) and dumping out the ash is to clean the lid. Two areas on the lid are a problem if not cleaned. First, after awhile, you may find that there is a flaking issue inside the lid. If those flakes are not brushed off (a nylon brush is enough) they will drop onto the food - not very appetizing. The second is the rim of the lid and where it sits in the middle section. When the unit is warm, I take a paper towel with some white vinegar on it and wipe the lid and the ring on the middle section. If you don't do this, the lid will stick to the middle section and it will not come off. If this ever happens to you, the best advice I've got is to fire up the unit. The heat will soften the goo and the lid should come loose. The one time it happened to me, I pried it off with a screwdriver. Thankfully I didn't damage the WSM. (note: that was before I heard of or thought of firing up the unit).

Last edited:
After I'm done cooking I put the grates over the fire and do a quick scrub.
Once in a while I wipe under the lid.
Everything else I leave alone.

after i pull off the food, i wire brush the grates and leave the vents wide open to let it keep burning off. (never get to reuse charcoal that way, but oh well...) the next day i come back and dump the ashes and then leave it alone all vents open

after i pull off the food, i wire brush the grates and leave the vents wide open to let it keep burning off. (never get to reuse charcoal that way, but oh well...) the next day i come back and dump the ashes and then leave it alone all vents open

I also do it this way.

Also I like to keep an eye on the grill straps, the lower ones in particular on mine. Those get gunked up with baked on grease and I like to take that down to bare metal with a scrapper and brush.
I had my water pan slip off and fall into the fire once because I let it go for too long, never again.

Tim

Chris,

I clean my grates by putting them on my gasser when I am heating it up. The high temps burn off the goo and I then brush them to finish cleaning.

Ray

That's exactly how I do it as well. I haven't had much luck reusing charcoal anyhow so I just let it run wide open after a cook

Last edited:
I generally just clean both grates and wipe down the water bowl. I Foil so it's never really all that bad.

I remove cooking grates, lay on cardboard in yard, spray with oven cleaner and hose off. Same with rib rack. Lastly I run 'em through the dishwasher. Shiny like new. Takes maybe 15 minutes plus DW cycle.

Also I like to keep an eye on the grill straps, the lower ones in particular on mine. Those get gunked up with baked on grease and I like to take that down to bare metal with a scrapper and brush.
I had my water pan slip off and fall into the fire once because I let it go for too long, never again.

Tim

Hmm... I never considered that, however I have noticed the gunk that builds up down there. Maybe I should start paying more attention before something undesirable happens. Thanks for the tip/reminder!

I remove cooking grates, lay on cardboard in yard, spray with oven cleaner and hose off. Same with rib rack. Lastly I run 'em through the dishwasher. Shiny like new. Takes maybe 15 minutes plus DW cycle.

Hmm... I may have to try that. Of course the trick will be seeing if I can get my grates (past the wife and) into my dishwasher!

As for as the original question, if I have the time I'll burn off my grate(s) directly over what's left of my coals. If there isn't time I'll just shut the vents and scrape off the cold grates when I dump the ash the next day (or so). If I run a dry pan, I'll toss my foil at the same time. If I use water, I typically don't foil my pan so I dump the water, swish a little clean water and dish soap around inside it. I may or may not use a paper towel and wipe the interior of the water bowl with the soapy water. Then I rinse & dry it. When I do my next cook, if I notice flakes from the lid I'll brush and wipe out what I can.

Last edited:
Like others, I use a wire brush, then paper towels to the grate(s) after removing the water pan. It doesn't take long, and I'm still able to put everything back pretty quick and shut her down to save charcoal. If using water in the pan, spraying some Pam on pre-cook will make cleaning it not much more than just a rinse and wipe with paper towels. Easy peasy. I can clean out my 22" wsm water pan faster than I can foil it for a dry pan cook. As for the smoker itself, a plastic putty knife is good for hitting the high spots or getting buildup out of the bowl. If you let the crud get too thick down there you can get a grease fire easier than you might think on high heat cooks. I also use a wide, straight metal tool that I think is intended to use in spreading mud or concrete. Not sure, but it sure does make getting the crud off the middle section easy. Then I just wipe with paper towels. I only do that every now and then.

Hmmm.. Maybe I'm the only one that prefers to cook in pans, either aluminum or stainless. I almost never put meat directly on the grate anymore. I can't remember the last time I had to clean the WSM grate.

I prefer pans so I can braise or add liquids that don't immediately end up in the water pan, or worse, in the fire. Also, it makes it dirt simple to wrap ribs, butts, brisket, whatever. Then when it's all done I can just pick up the pan and bring it inside.

Like this:
P6170235.jpg

Russ

What is this "cleaning" you speak of?

I'm experimenting with cooking without the water bowl. One less thing to fill up with grease.

The only thing on my WSM that gets cleaned every cook is I give the grates a quick scrape before I put more meat on, after it's up to temperature.

Back