Circus of Pizza Pies!

Richard S

TVWBB Pro
Temps over 100 in Southern Oregon yesterday. Had pizza plans and had no problem getting the heat up on Performer well over 700 degrees! But did experience some problems getting with pies 🍕 onto the pizza stone.
We managed OK though!
Started off with a spicy 🌶️ jalapeño margarita!IMG_2289.jpegWe did salami pie and a Pesto pie! Added two big chunks of pear wood to the cowboy briquettes!IMG_2290.jpegIMG_2292.jpegIMG_2293.jpegIMG_2294.jpegIMG_2295.jpegIMG_2299.jpegIMG_2297.jpegIMG_2302.jpegIMG_2303.jpeg

Those look nice- basil and pesto are magic on pizza! Something you might give a try that I learned from another group that's about wood-fired ovens: Rice flour actually works better than corn meal to dust the peel with. It doesn't take up moisture from the dough. I couldn't find it locally in stores though, had to order a bag. Got a jar of that Calabrian oil too, it's great stuff.

Yeah. Dough got warm and they stuck even with some corn meal.
I've been making pies on parchment paper, yet the paper will burn above 600F.

To counter this I remove the paper under the pie after a minute or two depending on temps. I trim the paper very close to the edge of the pie and leave a small inch or two tab of paper to pull on. Since I'm turning the pie anyway I just pull the paper out when the first spin happens.

Looking good! I like how you used the charcoal baskets to keep the coals where they’re supposed to be. Lol it’s the simplest things I like and see!

Very nice looking pies Rich. Trying to decide if I want to keep my old kettle and make it my dedicated Kettle Pizza grill, we don't make pies very often, but it's great to have it when you want to.
110 here and 95 at 7:30 PM. Didn't poke my nose out of the house all day.

Back