Cinco de Mayo Themed Pulled Pork

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
So my church is celebrating its 5th year in existence on May 5th with a "Cinco De Mayo/Fiesta-themed Pot Luck" meal. My wife suggested I do pulled pork, which I have no problem doing, especially since I was just explaining to the pastor that you don't really have to choose between Mexican food and barbecue if you make your Mexican food with BBQ'd meat! Anyway, I'm looking for advice/ideas on how to enhance the Fiesta-theme besides just providing a pile of meat and tortillas.

One idea was, assuming we can remember/find it, smoke and pull the pork and use it to make enchiladas. Any other thoughts/ideas?

Instead of using more traditional BBQ rub, you could use more of a Mexican style seasoning/rub and steer the cook towards smoked Carnitas.

In the past when I've made pulled pork for use in other recipes I've leaned away from the traditional rub figuring that whatever recipe the pork would get used in would have its own seasoning that I didn't want to compete with. Unfortunately it's been so long since I've done pork that way that I don't remember what kind of rub I used.

Anyway, I just stumbled on this recipe for smoked chile verde pulled pork that I think I may try.

That is basiclly what I do very often using pork stew meat. Cut the shoulder into large chunks for more smoke flavor and quicker cooking.
As a shortcut/cheat I like to use La Victoria Chunky Salsa Verde.

Check some of my previous threads if you need but the ideas behind making a Mexican themed meal using pork is the idea.
I use rub such as these.......Gringo being my favorite......
Leads to very good Mexican themed taco type meals.
A quick fry on the pulled pork pieces gives you that new texture, we love it.

1714755489136.png

1714755531519.png

Lately I've just been using seasoned salt. You can taste the meat, and then go from there to whatever region you like.

I recently made a 9-1/2lb of pulled pork.
When it was done I cut it into thirds and served it.
One third bbq, one third plain and the last third with chili verde sauce.
The wife thought it would be nice to make a burrito station with all the trimmings for the verde sauce meat.
People mainly made chili verde bowls filled with all the burrito trimmings like beans, cheese, peppers and stuff like that.
The verde bowl was the one people ate the most of.

So my church is celebrating its 5th year in existence on May 5th with a "Cinco De Mayo/Fiesta-themed Pot Luck" meal. My wife suggested I do pulled pork, which I have no problem doing, especially since I was just explaining to the pastor that you don't really have to choose between Mexican food and barbecue if you make your Mexican food with BBQ'd meat! Anyway, I'm looking for advice/ideas on how to enhance the Fiesta-theme besides just providing a pile of meat and tortillas.

One idea was, assuming we can remember/find it, smoke and pull the pork and use it to make enchiladas. Any other thoughts/ideas?
Brian, in addition to the carnitas recipe @Michael Richards mentions above, there's also CHILE COLORADO which I still do frequently (it is actually one of my all time favorites to make with pork butt!) Lots of great options for you to choose from. I actually think I'm going to do the carnitas for our family this Sunday since it's been a little while since I've made it.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it!!

Rich

I really need to do this one!!!
It's a winner! If you don't have an Instant Pot/pressure cooker for the colorado sauce, take a look around here for one of Cliff's posts (man, I miss that guy!) where he made it without. Still easy, just takes a little longer. I like to make it the day before if I can, seems to have more depth that way.

It's a winner! If you don't have an Instant Pot/pressure cooker for the colorado sauce, take a look around here for one of Cliff's posts (man, I miss that guy!) where he made it without. Still easy, just takes a little longer. I like to make it the day before if I can, seems to have more depth that way.
Rich,
I was literally writing asking that question. I have had the recipe as an open tab since the last time you made it. I keep letting the lack on the instant pot be a road block, I am excited to look for Cliffs old post, I miss him too, man could he cook and then write an even better post to go with it.

Well, knowing how busy my weekend is going to be, and since I was working from home today, I went ahead and made the pulled pork Chile Verde today. I'll probably do a separate post to document the cook, but it turned out well and was a pretty simple cook. Thanks for all the great ideas, will definitely be trying some in the future. In the meantime, here's a little before and after. . .

Just placed on the WSM
1000005037.jpg

About to come off for the braise.
1000005068.jpg

Braising liquid applied then back on the smoker
1000005056.jpg

Off the smoker, pulled and ready to eat!
1000005066.jpg

So the wife and I had a couple of tacos for quality assurance purposes, and now everything is in the fridge until the potluck... Unless we eat it all first... hahaha! Definitely a winner that will be tried again.

Back