Chile Colorado #???

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I've made this so many times, I have lost count. Pretty sure I've posted some version or another on here five times or more. However, I feel like I need to prove I still use my grills, and for all those of you who said they would make this when I posted before, well.....MAKE IT! :)

In '22, I posted THIS COOK, and I proclaimed it to be a recipe that needed no tweaks. Well, I stand by that statement. I made it the same way today, and it is hands down, my favorite pork cook......and that is saying just a little bit, as I love the pig from snout to tail!

Anyway, the day started with getting some seasoned pork chunks into a smoky sauna:

1709175846545.jpeg

The meat is seasoned with Lawry's taco seasoning, but use whatever you would season ground beef tacos with, or whatever strikes your fancy! These got their smoke on for 3.5 hours at 225°.

1709175907970.jpeg

Chunked the pork up into bite sized pieces, and dropped them in a dutch with this beautiful, silky Chile Colorado sauce I made while the pork was cooking.....

1709175950138.jpeg

1709175962430.jpeg

Uncovered for two hours at 375°, and when I popped the cover on, it looked like this.....

1709175994946.jpeg

Got some tortilla dough mixed up and resting....

1709176014376.jpeg

Pork done

1709176032893.jpeg

Tortillas

1709176043325.jpeg

1709176050638.jpeg

Plate

1709176059651.jpeg

The flavors are deep, earthy, smoky, and luscious! Great for tacos as we did tonight, but you could just eat it out of a bowl if you wanted. In case you missed it above MAKE IT! (The link to the Colorado sauce is in the '22 cook, I've posted the tortilla recipe in the recipe section, and I think there's enough details above for you to get it going......ask away if you have questions.)

I'm pleasantly full, and enjoying sips of my Old Fashioned......

Pork on!

Rich

Hey Rich---are you using lard for the tortillas? I can never get mine to puff up like that.
Hey there, Tim! I use lard, tallow or filtered bacon renderings for the fat in my tortillas, but I highly doubt that has much to do with puffing. Assuming that you have enough hydration in the dough (mine is ~68-70% in baker's math.....ie: water weight divided by flour weight), the other thing that I find affects puffing the most is having enough heat. My IR thermo says that my CI skillet is about 480-510° when I'm cooking tortillas. Usually 30-45 seconds on the first side gets some good color, same on the second side, then flip again and that's where I get the puff. The puffing happens when the water in the dough turns to steam, so you need enough heat to make that happen (and not burn the outside at the same time.

There are a lot of recipes that I've seen that use baking soda which may aid in the puff as well, but I don't use it.

What recipe are you using?

R

Hey there, Tim! I use lard, tallow or filtered bacon renderings for the fat in my tortillas, but I highly doubt that has much to do with puffing. Assuming that you have enough hydration in the dough (mine is ~68-70% in baker's math.....ie: water weight divided by flour weight), the other thing that I find affects puffing the most is having enough heat. My IR thermo says that my CI skillet is about 480-510° when I'm cooking tortillas. Usually 30-45 seconds on the first side gets some good color, same on the second side, then flip again and that's where I get the puff. The puffing happens when the water in the dough turns to steam, so you need enough heat to make that happen (and not burn the outside at the same time.

There are a lot of recipes that I've seen that use baking soda which may aid in the puff as well, but I don't use it.

What recipe are you using?

R
IIRC it's a Serious Eats recipe. I used Crisco. Flavor good but nothing like yours.

IIRC it's a Serious Eats recipe. I used Crisco. Flavor good but nothing like yours.
That recipe looks pretty similar to the one I use (HERE), but with some baking powder added. I don't see any gotchas with the recipe, so the first thing I would try if I were you is boosting the heat just a bit. Semi-related, when I was devising my english muffin recipe for the bakery, I found that I could make the perfect dough, but if I didn't give it enough initial heat, I never got them to puff the way I like.....obviously, you can have too much heat, so there's a sweet spot. Play around with it! :)

FWIW, if you give my linked recipe a try, you can use all AP flour if that's what you have. I like the texture a bit more with the "00" in there, but I also always have some for my pizza dough.

R

That recipe looks pretty similar to the one I use (HERE), but with some baking powder added. I don't see any gotchas with the recipe, so the first thing I would try if I were you is boosting the heat just a bit. Semi-related, when I was devising my english muffin recipe for the bakery, I found that I could make the perfect dough, but if I didn't give it enough initial heat, I never got them to puff the way I like.....obviously, you can have too much heat, so there's a sweet spot. Play around with it! :)

FWIW, if you give my linked recipe a try, you can use all AP flour if that's what you have. I like the texture a bit more with the "00" in there, but I also always have some for my pizza dough.

R
Thanks a ton, Rich. I will definitely be trying both the Colorado and tortilla recipes.

Back