Chucks on Joe using Basques

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Picked up a bag of Canadian sugar maple lump, Basques, from a ship to Ace hardware store order.

1615300569664.png

Fired up a small pile on my SJ:

1615300630682.png

Grilled a couple of chuck eye steaks and a Select grade, spent a year in the freezer, short dated, pandemic panic buy, strip steak.

1615300823769.png

1615300871638.png

Big Idaho baked potatoes, corn, and garlic bread for sides.

The chuck eyes were very good, but I could tell the strip was going to be very tough, and given its long time in the freezer, I tossed it without sampling.
Now, about the charcoal. I've wanted to try this brand for years now. It was $12 for an 8.8 lb. bag.
I will be sparing with it, hence using the SJ for this cook.
It's lightweight, compared to most lump, it was easy to light, very little sparking, and a pleasant woodsy smell. It will be my high heat, steak fuel until it's gone, then I will decide if I want to get more.

Looking really good, Bob! Sorry about the fallen soldier..... I haven't used lump since I got rid of my ceramic kamado....might need to grab a bag for some high heat stuff! Wonder if my Ace has, or can get, this stuff.

Thanks!

R

Bob, that Basques Sugar Maple charcoal is made here in Canada and I bought a bag at a small local store a few years back. Never seen it anywhere after that. Too bad, I liked it! No massive chunks in the bag I had either.

CE's look good.... those are our usual friday suspects until Lent rolled along...
kinda surprised you didn't slice up the tosser for jerky before cookin' it...

that bag looks familiar.... wonder if the local Ace has/had it... i'll find out tomorrow when i visit for a bag of B&B.
umm, have you tried FOGO lump? It's huge, it's hot, and it's almost spark free.
I love it. i have some left
check out these photos from last april

Those chuck eyes look really good Bob. Around here I've only been able to find them once a few years ago really a enjoyed them.
I keep forgetting I have a SJ sitting in the cabinet of our gasser, haven't used it in years.
Speaking of charcoal went to Costco yesterday to pick up a few things and get a twin pack of Kingsford pro which was on sale starting yesterday, found it and there were only 3 twin pack bags left and they didn't have any more. Sounds kind of strange that a sale going on until 4/4 and they run out at 1 pm on the first day. Also not seeing much of any charcoal at Wally's or ace either, weird.
Oh well we will be going into our charcoal ban at the end of March so it won't impact me.

I was right... I did see it last time I was at Ace
My closest Ace is pretty small, so my bag was shipped to the store.
There was enough leftover from the steak cook for another cook. My SJ snuffs out the fire much better than my Performer, which needs new sweeper blades.

I’ll try some tomorrow for spares...
I’m set now with charcoal
497625DC-DC47-49EE-8310-BE82997378FD.jpeg
My messy garage is a total mess now, installing a few windows on the south side of it and everything is piled on the north side...
Anyone looking for a Miller bouncing ball light...?

Thanks for the report on the Sugar Maple lump. The chuck eyes are beautiful. I picked up a SJ last year for a vacation rental trip that got cancelled. Looks like I should pull it out and cook some steaks on it.

Any further response from Blues Hog?

Back