Chuck Short Ribs

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
When I was at CostCo this weekend hunting for briskets, I grabbed a two-pack of prime Chuck Short Ribs while I was there (I mean, how could I not?) ;) During Covid, we switched our monthly Steak Club over to a Bring Your Own Meat format so that we could still gather, but maintain Covid safety. Last night was our 39th meeting since we started in 2017 (missed a few here and there), so I decided I'd cook 'em up. I got the grill fired up to 225F at about 7a, and while that was coming up to temp, I prepped the ribs. Membrane off the back, and trimmed the top of fat and silverskin. Dusted up with a random steak rub (smelled good and peppery), and got them on the pit at 7:30.

After a few hours, they looked like this:

1616595667705.jpeg

My temps were off (registered 175 in one rack after only 2.5 hours), so I ditched the thermometers and just went by time. I've cooked these a few times at similar temps, and they seem to always take 10 hours. So, after 5 hours, I wrapped in pink paper, and let them go 4 more hours for the small one (right) and 5 more hours for the big one (left.) They were nice and tender at that point, so I wrapped them up, dropped them in a cooler with towels, and took them off to Steak Club.

When I unwrapped and got them sliced up, here's how they turned out:

1616595806127.jpeg

Incredibly tender, juicy, beefy, etc. I was a little disappointed by the rub.....it was fine, but just nothing popping out from it. I've got plenty of leftovers (planned) since we weren't sharing meals, and I'm looking forward to some tacos, and a rice bowl or two.

Thanks for stopping by!

R

Wow...those look amazing. Beef ribs around here are RIDICULOUSLY expensive so I always pass them by... I'm talking those two packs you had there are likely around $20 each. I have no idea why...we live right smack in the middle of Alberta beef country too...

Good job!

Great cook Rich. One of these days I have to try that, but every time I go to Costco and see them I get sticker shock and pass on by.:unsure:

Wow...those look amazing. Beef ribs around here are RIDICULOUSLY expensive so I always pass them by... I'm talking those two packs you had there are likely around $20 each. I have no idea why...we live right smack in the middle of Alberta beef country too...

Good job!
Great cook Rich. One of these days I have to try that, but every time I go to Costco and see them I get sticker shock and pass on by.:unsure:
Yeah, guys, I agree, they are certainly not cheap! Then again, they are so rich, I can only eat one at a sitting. So, I look at it as 8 servings, so the cost per serving is not so bad. They sure are tasty! :)

Rich,
Those look great!!! Tell me more about the steak club?
In the summer of '17 (20, not 19), me and a couple of buddies were having cocktails and making some jokes about how our wives' "Book Club" was really a "Wine Club". Someone (who shall remain nameless, but his name rhymes with itch) said, well we should have our own club, but we should call it Steak Club, rather than try to hide our intentions with something like "Book Club." Needless to say, my buddies were in, so we worked up some details and scheduled the first date.

The usual details are that one of the four of us (we added one) will host Steak Club once a month. The host decides what he will cook, and, while it's steak club, any cut of beef will do. So essentially, it's a steak themed supper group where we take turns hosting once a month. After we eat, the cocktails and cigars come out, and we spend an enjoyable couple of hours together shooting the breeze about whatever topics happen to come up.

Next month will be our 40th get together. Early on, I got four bourbon glasses etched with a line drawing of a porterhouse steak, and each person's last name. We intended to possibly add more people to the group, and they would get a glass with the year they joined us, but so far, it's just stayed the four of us.

It's fun, and, even though we tend to see each other more frequently than just once a month, it's a great event that we know will happen each month, and even if life gets in the way, ensures that we'll at least see each other every four weeks or so.

R

In the summer of '17 (20, not 19), me and a couple of buddies were having cocktails and making some jokes about how our wives' "Book Club" was really a "Wine Club". Someone (who shall remain nameless, but his name rhymes with itch) said, well we should have our own club, but we should call it Steak Club, rather than try to hide our intentions with something like "Book Club." Needless to say, my buddies were in, so we worked up some details and scheduled the first date.

The usual details are that one of the four of us (we added one) will host Steak Club once a month. The host decides what he will cook, and, while it's steak club, any cut of beef will do. So essentially, it's a steak themed supper group where we take turns hosting once a month. After we eat, the cocktails and cigars come out, and we spend an enjoyable couple of hours together shooting the breeze about whatever topics happen to come up.

Next month will be our 40th get together. Early on, I got four bourbon glasses etched with a line drawing of a porterhouse steak, and each person's last name. We intended to possibly add more people to the group, and they would get a glass with the year they joined us, but so far, it's just stayed the four of us.

It's fun, and, even though we tend to see each other more frequently than just once a month, it's a great event that we know will happen each month, and even if life gets in the way, ensures that we'll at least see each other every four weeks or so.

R
That is super cool Rich! After the pandemic is completely over, I may have to start to recruit a few good buddies of my own to do create a similar club out here in the east!

What a great cook and a great club. I'm pretty sure that if I pitched that idea to my buddies, our wives would slap it down like Dikembe Mutombo in those stupid commercials. No way my wife is missing out on meal like that.

What a great cook and a great club. I'm pretty sure that if I pitched that idea to my buddies, our wives would slap it down like Dikembe Mutombo in those stupid commercials. No way my wife is missing out on meal like that.
No reason it can't be open to all genders. In our case, we all happen to have wives who are not really into red meat (or whiskey, or cigars......) I cook all the stuff my wife DOES like, so she has no complaints. :)

Back