Chuck roast

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Picked up a small chuck roast to celebrate still being amongst the "quick". See my ER thread to know more.
Anyway roast beef and mashed taters tonight. Thinking about 3 to 4 hours on the pellet popper? Maybe wrap butcher wrap and foil last hour? It's smaller (2.5lbs)

Well in the absence of any feedback. I put it on, high smoke (200), about 10 min ago. Hoping to time it so I can put it on the table for the boss, by 6

Hey, that sounds pretty good! I’m thinking about something for tomorrow, wife wants some sort of cheesy potatoes but, I’m stumped by the protein! Just had a spun chicken last night so, chicken is out. Finishing off some “Dublin coddle” tonight.
I am thinking some sort of small pork roast? Since it’s only two of us we don‘t need much.

Hey, that sounds pretty good! I’m thinking about something for tomorrow, wife wants some sort of cheesy potatoes but, I’m stumped by the protein! Just had a spun chicken last night so, chicken is out. Finishing off some “Dublin coddle” tonight.
I am thinking some sort of small pork roast? Since it’s only two of us we don‘t need much.
I don't have the luxury of too many different proteins with my wife. She's allergic to pork, and some fish like salmon has the same enzyme she's allergic to as well. I try to use lamb and get "I'm not really crazy about lamb" she'll tolerate it but my protein choices are typically some kind of a white fish (cod, catfish, Chilean sea bass, Mediterranean Sea Bass, Tuna and swordfish (though I watch the last 2 because of mercury levels), chicken and beef. Fish (good fish) is hard to come by here where Moses lost his sandals. So, beef and chicken are the typical choices.

If memory serves when I do chucks for burnt ends they are ~5 hour cooks at 250-275f when I cube and wrap somewhere north of 165f internal.

I've done all kinds of beef roasts but never a chucky. Got a couple small and large in the freezer. Going to follow along and see how you do it and how it turns out. I use chuck roast mostly to grind for hamburger or stew meat.

I've done all kinds of beef roasts but never a chucky. Got a couple small and large in the freezer. Going to follow along and see how you do it and how it turns out. I use chuck roast mostly to grind for hamburger or stew meat.
Roast is at 140 internal now. I think I need to bring it up and time is getting tighter. Wife had to go get grandson and stay with him because his mom had to take the older baby to the dr. Little sweetie not feeling well. So I boosted the grill to 350 now. It's had good smoke low and slow for over 3.5 hours now. So I think it's time. Maybe I won't wrap it and shoot for having a little "bark" on it

I don't have the luxury of too many different proteins with my wife. She's allergic to pork, and some fish like salmon has the same enzyme she's allergic to as well. I try to use lamb and get "I'm not really crazy about lamb" she'll tolerate it but my protein choices are typically some kind of a white fish (cod, catfish, Chilean sea bass, Mediterranean Sea Bass, Tuna and swordfish (though I watch the last 2 because of mercury levels), chicken and beef. Fish (good fish) is hard to come by here where Moses lost his sandals. So, beef and chicken are the typical choices.
Wife isn’t a big fan of leftovers either, fish up here is seriously hard to find. I love lamb but, that’s rare, relegated to guests that I know enjoy it. I just get tired of pork, chicken, pork, chicken some kind of burger related thing. Just having a bad food “inspiration” day, I guess.

Well plans got a little weird because little Lily ended up with double ear infection. So, the cook was slow, then sped up then slow then wrapped so I did not get that wonderful soft meat. But, it definitely quite edible. Great flavor. Plus I only bought this particular roast because it was smaller and cheap. It was not a good looking roast. My only motivation was it was packed single, smallest one and cheapest :D But it went well. The hole there is from the temp probe
1681866352690.jpeg

Looks pretty dang good from here. Excellent smoke ring. I've been looking for a Beef Clod to smoke. The last one I did I only cooked to 170, this time it's 200 or bust

My final temp after rest was about 155 on my ThermoPro Lightning. The grill's probe was at 160ish when pulled. It was a weird cook. Because the plan was interrupted when daughter called wife and asked her to sit with grandson while they got Lily to the doc. I guess that took a while so they took advantage of wife and ran errands to get her scripts and something for them to eat. Leaving wife to feed Blake. Meaning I could not just proceed with a nice steady cook But, yeah impressive smoke ring, I had a decent bark on it as well. Honestly I was encouraged enough to do it again. Only with better planning and a better chuck

We have fixed a lot of chuck roasts, but always in the oven. Never considered one for the grill. I am sure the flavor was great.

Looks pretty good to me! The last one I did I spun, it was a real treat! Must do that again!
And, how are you feeling Larry?

Looks pretty good to me! The last one I did I spun, it was a real treat! Must do that again!
And, how are you feeling Larry?
I am on the mend. Doc put me on prednisone for 6 days. Not crazy about it. Doesn't make me feel real good (edgy, BP and glucose up) but they think it's necessary to get the lungs open again and cut the inflammation from the allergies and COPD.
Seems to be working.
Just shaved some of the chucky for lunch. Quick warmup and some Q sauce wrapped in a large burrito shell. Pretty darn good

Back