Chuck Roast Seasoning Opinions

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I've got nothing to do Saturday except wrap Christmas gifts (and find the ones I've hidden around the house all year long), so I decided to cook up a chuck roast that's been in the freezer for a couple months. It's thawing now and should be good to go by Saturday morning, but in the meantime I'm pondering how I want to season it.

The one time before that I've done a plain old chuck roast, I went the simple (kosher salt & fresh-cracked pepper) route, smoking with a few chunks of hickory and finishing with some bottled sauce. It was OK, but not fantastic. It really just tasted salty & peppery, so perhaps I used too much of those, or should have added some other flavors to balance it out.

So, I could look at the hundreds of recipes out there on the interwebs, but I wanted to get all of your input on how you'd season a chuck roast.

BTW, this will be my first try with a low & slow cook in the Jumbo Joe. The chuckie is only 2.75 lb, so it's just the right size for the JJ. Not sure if I'm going to try a snake/fuse or just go with coals on one side, meat on the other, so if anyone has opinions on that, let's hear them as well.

I wanted to get all of your input on how you'd season a chuck roast.
Hands down the best

EXC0P.jpg.jpg

I like to make a paste with worsh a squirt of stone ground mustard and either Montreal steak seasoning or Weber's Chicago steak seasoning. For those I work in a mortar and pestle to open up the spices and reduce the size.
Another good one for chuck roasts is McCormick's Grill Mates Cowboy Rub, it adds a touch of coffee and cocoa which works well with pulled beef.
I have to ask, what's your choice of smoke-wood?

Tim

Last edited:
Larry Wolfe posted his recipe for PSB (pepper stout beef) back in 2009 and it's been a forum favorite for years. Maybe not what your looking for but it sure is good, Barb and I make all the time.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2848-Pepper-Stout-Beef

It sounds awesome to me, but since getting pregnant, peppers cause my wife some awful acid reflux. However, I think I will get some onions for the foil pan stage of the cook.

I like to make a paste with worsh a squirt of stone ground mustard and either Montreal steak seasoning or Weber's Chicago steak seasoning. For those I work in a mortar and pestle to open up the spices and reduce the size.
Another good one for chuck roasts is McCormick's Grill Mates Cowboy Rub, it adds a touch of coffee and cocoa which works well with pulled beef.
I have to ask, what's your choice of smoke-wood?

Tim

Hrm...no mortar and pestle handy, but thanks for the tip. I've got montreal steak in the cabinet, and yours is the second vote, so I might go that route. As for smoke wood, I'm thinking of either some cherry or pecan.

Kosher or sea salt, coarse ground pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic and coffee grounds. Once bark is nicely formed foil to tender then tent in foil for 10-20 minutes.

Back