4lb - Chuck Roast
    2 - Big Bell Peppers sliced
    1 - Big Red Onion sliced
    3 - Big Jalapenos Sliced seed and all
    6 - Garlic Cloves mince
    1/4 - cup Worcestershire Sauce
    1 - 12oz Bottle Guinness Extra Stout
    Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

Heavily season Chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on a grill or smoker indirect in the 245-260 range. You can add smoke wood if you prefer, I did not. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165.

While the roast is cooking, add the remaining ingredients in 13 x 9 or similar aluminum pan or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165, place into pan directly on top of vegetable mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook roast in smoker or oven at 350 for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly and continue to cook until the liquid reduces by half.

Serve meat on hard rolls with your choice of cheese. We used pepper jack on some and gorgonzola on some and liked both, but provolone, swiss, etc., would work perfectly fine. Horseradish would be another good condiment.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Jim Lampe's Avatar
    Larry, this looks SPECTACULAR! Wife wants me to do this recipe NOW
    I'm not sure I can get the WSM up to 350' for 2 to 3 hours, but the oven is a good idea to close the deal.
    Larry, your grate, on the grill? Can I ask where you got them? I've been looking high and low for cast grates for my 22.5 Weber OTG and I can not find them anywhere.
    Thankyou.
    Living a dream in
    ......................The Home of THE P1GVILION

TVWBB Platinum Member
    Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
    I'm not sure I can get the WSM up to 350' for 2 to 3 hours, but the oven is a good idea to close the deal.
    Larry, your grate, on the grill? Can I ask where you got them? I've been looking high and low for cast grates for my 22.5 Weber OTG and I can not find them anywhere.
    Thankyou.
    Hmmmm .. I seem to remember that same question coming up yesterday...And I answered it. Oh, I get it...

Bill
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bill

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Jim Lampe's Avatar
    Hey Thanks Bill! I left the forum Sunday morning for groceries after posting and I could not remember where I posted when I returned.
    Thanks again!!
    Living a dream in
    ......................The Home of THE P1GVILION

Banned
    Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
    Thankyou.
    Jim, the oven is perfectly fine for the second half of the cook, cooking on the WSM or grill would provide no benefit since the dish is foiled. Matter of fact, I took this off the grill to make room for the chicken wings.

Larry,

As I said in the grilling forum, this sounds so good! I'm going to do this very soon and want to work out the timing. About how long did it take for the 4# chuck roast to get to 165 at the 245-260 range? I know every piece of meat is different, just looking for approximates.

Thanks in advance!
    DC
    18.5 WSM 22.5 Weber OTG 22.5 Weber Performer

Banned
    Originally posted by Don Cash:
    Larry,

As I said in the grilling forum, this sounds so good! I'm going to do this very soon and want to work out the timing. About how long did it take for the 4# chuck roast to get to 165 at the 245-260 range? I know every piece of meat is different, just looking for approximates.

Thanks in advance!
    DC
    Don, if I recall correctly about 2.5 hours. You could certainly go with a higher heat to speed up the process, especially since it's braising in liquide for the remainder of the cook, unlike typical shredded beef.

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
    Don, if I recall correctly about 2.5 hours. You could certainly go with a higher heat to speed up the process
    The way that looks, no way I'm altering your recipe! I'll plan on 6 hours.

Thanks!!
    18.5 WSM 22.5 Weber OTG 22.5 Weber Performer

TVWBB Member
    Larry, a spectacular recipe!! My wife had "seconds" and I have never seen that before with any food. Could not find a hard roll (unreal), so we used a french Batard loaf - sliced off 4" and we were off and running. Thanks for the pleasurable experience!
    Keep the kettle fires burning!

Banned
    Originally posted by Cliff Parham:
    Larry, a spectacular recipe!! My wife had "seconds" and I have never seen that before with any food. Could not find a hard roll (unreal), so we used a french Batard loaf - sliced off 4" and we were off and running. Thanks for the pleasurable experience!
    Glad you and your wife enjoyed it!!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast