CHUCK ROAST, GRILLED OR SLOW SMOKE LIKE A BRISKET

Kevin L (NKY)

TVWBB Diamond Member
So far I have 3lb roast, I have put on some oil and salted it in frig open air on rack.
I plan to just add pepper and garlic before cook.
I have been reading/watching bids on cooks and I like the treat it like brisket I was wondering if anyone has done that way?

Attachments

• 20241017_163039.jpg
    20241017_163039.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 0
So far I have 3lb roast, I have put on some oil and salted it in frig open air on rack.
I plan to just add pepper and garlic before cook.
I have been reading/watching bids on cooks and I like the treat it like brisket I was wondering if anyone has done that way?
turn it into biria tacos and enjoy it. personally, smoked like a brisket was underwhelming. or make good hamburgers. chuck makes some of the best ground beef there is. sorry to not conform to your desires. just sharing my honest experiences.

reference: https://tvwbb.com/threads/chuck-n-butt.90319/

I don't cook briskets. But I do cook chuck roast in my WSM. I cook them 250 275 and the smoker and I use pecan cuz I like it. And I cook them 5 hours depending on how big it is and the cook is going. The one thing I found that really made some good in my opinion is that using either aluminum foil or butcher paper to wrap it in the WSM. Remove it and I'll let it sit for an hour or two.

It's really a good piece of meat I feel like it cook for a while or grind it up

I like smoked Chucks. The best ones were smoked between 275 - 300. You definitely want to mop them and mop them often. A lot of people wrap them, I’ve never subscribed to that, but a lot of people do. I would suggest dry brining overnight. Start toothpicking it at 190, it could take until 205 or be tender as soon as 190, just depends on the marbling

turn it into biria tacos and enjoy it. personally, smoked like a brisket was underwhelming. or make good hamburgers. chuck makes some of the best ground beef there is. sorry to not conform to your desires. just sharing my honest experiences.

reference: https://tvwbb.com/threads/chuck-n-butt.90319/
Same. Did a brisket style cook with a chuck roast and...

I'd rather cook a point, or a boneless beef rib cuts I get here. They are a similar price, or sometimes even cheaper.

Its nothing wrong with the cut itself. It has a distinctive taste and texture to it though. When I took a bite I immediately recognized the cut from my childhood. My uncle did a braise cook with these cuts.

I’ve never been able to smoke a great chuck roast.
It has always eluded me so I quit trying.

Mississippi Pot Roast in my Crockpot or Instant Pot works good for me and works great on our winter menu.
Grinding it up with some brisket flat trimmings and a tad of pork belly works good too.
I like Brett’s tacos idea too and will have to give that a try

I’ve never been able to smoke a great chuck roast.
It has always eluded me so I quit trying.

Mississippi Pot Roast in my Crockpot or Instant Pot works good for me and works great on our winter menu.
Grinding it up with some brisket flat trimmings and a tad of pork belly works good too.
I like Brett’s tacos idea too and will have to give that a try

I’ve smoked a chuck roast like a brisket a couple times and honestly, it’s average at best. It’s not worth it to me to try again because I know I’ll have a virtually guaranteed success smoking a brisket point which is much more flavorful. Chuck roasts now, for me, are for pot roast only in the Instant Pot.
1729357136965.jpeg

Packers were $2.25 # when I joined this place (2008)
$1.99 was a good sale then.
Chuck eye steaks and roasts were $0.99# on sale.
$6.00# and change was the price at Sam's for chuck.

Back