Christmas Rib Roast

DarinD

TVWBB Member
We typically cook a beef roast for Christmas dinner. This year we picked up a rib roast from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Ag department. They have a meat market that’s sells a bunch of cuts and different meats. Looking forward to the final product. I’m going to bbq it on the 18.5 WSM. What are y’all cooking this year?

We're doing a change-up this year. for a gathering tomorrow I'm making "Burnt Ends for the Rich and Famous" (formerly referred to Poor Man's Burnt Ends) and for another gathering on Monday I'm making turkey chili... I have a one year old 15 lb bird in the freezer taking up space.

Enjoy your Rib Roast and Merry Christmas!

@timothy - Merry Christmas to you, too! Are you referring to the Char-Broil unit?

We will have 33 people at the house Sunday, and will be serving 30# of rib roast and a spiral cut ham.
The rib roasts will be smoked at around 200 deg on the 22.5" Smokey Mountain, then reversed seared in the oven.
The beef was rubbed Thursday. The plan was to cook these in the oven, but the mild temperature expected for Sunday (in Michigan) has me excited to smoke these.
2023 Christmas Rib Roasts.jpg

We will have 33 people at the house Sunday, and will be serving 30# of rib roast and a spiral cut ham.
The rib roasts will be smoked at around 200 deg on the 22.5" Smokey Mountain, then reversed seared in the oven.
The beef was rubbed Thursday. The plan was to cook these in the oven, but the mild temperature expected for Sunday (in Michigan) has me excited to smoke these.
View attachment 84147
Make that 34, I’m googling your address right now!🤣

Here are the two roasts after 3 days of refrigerator drying. Too big to stay on one level, so the smaller of the two is on the bottom rack of WSM. I was supposed to set an alarm to take them out of the fridge at 2 AM to take the chill off, but didn't. So all probed up the center was as 45 deg and I'm trying to maintain 200 at the top grate.
The smoke wood I'm using are oak spirals that I've used to age corn whiskeys.1000004468.jpgok
1000004470.jpg

Those look wonderful!!!
We have not gotten together tonight, the kids and grand kids are not feeling 100% yet, Sandy and I have fought off a bit of a cold and stay g home from brother and sister in laws seems smarter. I just ran half the batch of meatloaves over to the kids and stopped for some strawberries for a nice breakfast for the two of us in the morning. Very quiet on the streets.
happy to be home.
Merry Christmas to all and, to all a good night!

Back