Christmas Ham

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, I am going the easy route this year with a precooked ham.
I have a couple questions. Do I need to heat this up to the USDA target temp for Pork of: 145 or is more of just heat up to whatever seems good since it already "Fully Cooked"?

It is about a 12lb bone in ham. I will be doing this indirect on my Genesis 1000 on the grates. I plan to just use the package of glaze that came with it, no smoke since it is already Hickory smoked. But any additional suggestions are welcome, especially the heating/cooking part of it. Also, let me know how long you estimate it would take to heat up to serving temp.

I haven't had one in years because of the salt. But we used to serve them at least once a year, and we generally ate them cold/room temp. I don't think you are supposed to heat them. Perhaps check out honeybaked ham online and see what they suggest?

We always have heated them up. The directions indicate heating them up but don't give a time or temp.

OK , thanks. I guess I start it about three house ahead of the scheduled dinner at about 350, I should be good. If it gets done early, I will simply let it sit under foil until dinner is ready. I can also adjust the grill temp as things progress as well.

I’m with Bob but, Throw that nasty prepackaged snot away!!! You’re better than that! Find your bourbon, taste for quality, mix up some butter, brown sugar and maple syrup, test bourbon again, once convinced that the bourbon is suitable, add a splash and some Dijon mustard, a little nutmeg, cinnamon, anise(whatever) reduce until nicely thickened. Test bourbon to make sure there have been no degradation since opening, baste the ham once, test bourbon again, dump the rest of the glaze over the ham, making sure the whole thing doesn’t catch fire. Pour one more test glass, remove the ham to something close at hand as long as it’s not the trash and leave it for someone else to carve!
Merry Christmas pal!

Those hams are already cured and cooked. If you take it to 150 it's gonna be like eating a shoe. My son in law's mom does that to them. Totally inedible. All you need to do is put the glaze you like on it and warm it. Honestly going over 110 to 120 is too much.

Guys, I knew I could count on you to give me the info I needed to at least put a presentable ham on the table. I just got a Cortisone shot in the shoulder today and now that the novacaine is wearing off and the cortisone has yet to take effect, I just don't feel like getting real involved with anything. It was all I could do to wrap a few presents with the wife behind me telling me how needed to do all kinds of extra stuff like freeking bows and writing names on the cotton pickin' things. I told her I just bought 150 foot roll of pink butcher paper and she is lucky every present doesn't look like a beef roast.

I think I will just put it on at about 275-300 then and take it up around 125. I hope to have the grill temps stabilized on the grill while we are at Christmas church services. Then the wife can finish her stuff off when we get back and hopefully the ham will be ready to go about the time she is done.

Last edited:
Those hams are already cured and cooked. If you take it to 150 it's gonna be like eating a shoe. My son in law's mom does that to them. Totally inedible. All you need to do is put the glaze you like on it and warm it. Honestly going over 110 to 120 is too much.
IL ready to eat hams must be different than MO ready to eat hams. :)

edit to say, I was talking about a whole ham, not a spiral cut one.

Last edited:
My wife used to do ham every Christmas the way her French-Canadian grandmother taught her. She would simmer a whole uncooked ham for a few hours on Christmas Eve and let it sit in the water overnight. Christmas Day it would go in the oven to bake with an orange juice based glaze. Unfortunately, those hams vanished with the advent of those pre-cooked spiral jobs. She tried it with a pre-cooked ham, but it wasn't the same. Last year we tried a smoked ham from Burgers and followed their directions which seemed off to my wife. Came out like leather. This year, no ham at all, just another Butterball. We used to get full uncooked hams from Smithfield at Walmart, but they vanished too after the company changed hands. Merry Christmas to Everyone!

Kind of funny I don't remember the last time we had a ham that was not spiral, as a kid my mom cooked those hams that came in the can not sure they even sell those anymore had to be careful could lose a finger unwinding that thing. My wife decided to ditch the ham for Christmas, Rib-Eyes and Filet Mignon on the Silver C this year only 5 of us and we had a ham for Thanksgiving along with a Turkey so I was kind of hammed out if you know what I mean.

Brian, yes they still sell those canned hams that come in the triangularish shaped cans.

I have had precooked but not spiral sliced hams. But, unless you know what you are doing, it is hard to get nice slabs off them

Just to report back. The ham was a rousing success. I put it in a corning pan, put it on the grill with a little beef broth in the pan. I tooth picked pineapple slices all over it and covered it in foil. I cooked in the 280-290 range and at the last half hour, I uncovered it, removed the pineapple and glazed it with a pure maple syrup and brown sugar blend with some Dijon mustard mixed in. The foil and little bit of beef broth under it kept it nice and tender and glaze was there, but not overpowering. The only bad thing is that for some reason, only the bottom half of the ham was spiral sliced. It was fine though as I served mostly the spiral cut portion for dinner and cut up the unsliced stuff into thicker slices for sandwiches and other stuff. I will probably dice up some in a few days for a nice Bean soup.

Thanks everyone for the help, advice and suggestions. It was a winner. PS, I don't think the pineapple did anything for the taste, but it made the wife happy.
Next year, however, I am going to consider a Rib Roast. You guys posting those huge chunks of ribeye made me jealous.

Timothy, I have never been a big hard liquor guy. I drank my share during college, but not for the taste. And I have never found cooking with liquor, wine or beer to be anything that really excites me a whole lot. I know there are some real fans, but to me, it is more of a gimmick than anything else. I drink alcohol and I eat meat. I find them both better that way.
That being said, I never drink beer when I am eating food either. I will drink before and after, but it just doesn't do much for me while I am eating a meal.

When you get bored with eating pink rubber, try a real ham :cool:. I get mine from Tripp. They ship everywhere. They're not cheap, but they're the real deal.
http://www.countryhams.com/index.htm
Basically they salt cure hams the old school way when pigs were slaughtered in the fall and salt cured in cold weather, smoked, and then aged as the weather warmed up in the Spring. Tripp uses this method except he has huge climate controlled rooms to simulate the Fall/Winter/Spring seasons year round so you can buy a ham at any time of the year. If you ever find yourself traveling from Memphis to Nashville, stop by and take a tour.

We prepare a whole or half ham by soaking, boiling, and then baking. It's an entirely different experience from the pink rubber most people think of as ham.

Back