Christmas Ham

We did a spiral ham from Costco, that's Barbs annual ham. We have been very happy with the results. Although the instructions say 12-15 minutes a pound at 275 to a temp of 140 I know better for our ten pound ham that would be about 2 1/2 hours. Try 3 1/2 + hours.
But it was worth the wait.

Doing an uncooked ham is something I would like to try some time for sure.

And Rich: I agree, the guidelines I read for doing a spiral ham were off on the time as well. It took quite a bit longer than estimated. And I use a Thermoworks grate level remote thermometer for monitoring the heat.

Last edited:
Bruce, look for my thread in Charcuterie. I've apparently ruined ham for a couple of people (so they tell me....)

Much like brisket, I'm discovering that I really do prefer the relatively simple preparations. A simple cure/brine with cure #1, salt, brown sugar, some peppercorns and bay leaves, and no glaze. Smoke (250ish) to 165 F internal, rest, slice and feast.

I did a 30# yesterday on the gasser. It was ready to eat but it still took 7 hrs. 4 hrs with the rind/skin on, then strip it and score the fat and baste.
Did a bourbon, brown sugar mustard glaze, a few cinnamon sticks, thinned down with orange/pineapple juice.
Came out really good, a tad dry on the outer slices, should of pulled it earlier.

Tim

Back