Christmas Bacon

Chad M.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. I haven't had much time to BBQ the past few weeks, but I was able to get in my first bacon cook a couple of weeks ago using the Bob Correll method. Finally getting a chance to post some pictures. Here's the lowdown:

The whole belly (11 lbs.), skin removed.

IMG_1204.jpg

Cut into three 3-4 lb. pieces, and coated with Morton Tender Quick and brown sugar.

IMG_1208.jpg

After curing for 4 days.

IMG_1220.jpg

After curing for a week and rinsed under cold water for several minutes. Dried overnight in fridge.

IMG_1235.jpg

On the smoker. 2 smaller pieces on top, larger piece on bottom. One slab was coated in fresh ground black pepper. Sorry for the fuzzy picture.

IMG_1237.jpg

After smoking for about 4 hours at 165 degrees.

IMG_1240.jpg

Sliced (this was the peppered bacon, obviously).

IMG_1248.jpg

Bagged. Ended up with about 8 lbs. of finished, sliced bacon.

IMG_1253.jpg

With breakfast.

IMG_1254.jpg

And on a burger. (Yes, there's a burger somewhere under that cheese).

IMG_1258.jpg

Overall it was outstanding. Very rich bacon flavor, much better than any store bought bacon. I think I'll try to soak the cured slabs for 30 minutes rather than just rinse them next time to draw out a little more salt before smoking. The thinnest slab was pretty salty, but the thicker pieces were fine. Still just a tad salty but hey, it's bacon. It's supposed to be salty. The peppered bacon was excellent.

I gave most of it away to people as Christmas gifts. The feedback is still coming in but so far everyone has enjoyed it. I know I'll do it again and will almost certainly switch from store-bought bacon. It really is quite simple. Everyone should try it, especially if you have access to a FoodSaver and a slicer. Makes everything a snap.

Also, I want to thank Bob for his inspiration and help along the way. It was greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob!

Thanks everyone for looking. Have a Happy New Year!

Welcome to the club, you are off to a great start! I think we now have a slicer and FoodSaver because we make bacon.

Looks like your set bacon wise for while....maybe a week...it's BACON! Great post ..thanks for sharing the process!

Beautiful bacon Chad, it all looks perfect!

Keep your eyes open for pork jowls on sale this time of year.
They make for some fine bacon too.
A local independent store has them advertised for $1.99/lb.
I ran down yesterday to buy some, but their order did not some in, so I got a rain check.

Beautifully done Chaz. Nice pictorial.
"Keep your eyes open for pork jowls on sale this time of year"
Will keep my eyes open -- thanks Bob.

Chad you crushed that bacon! for a first timer you look like a pro and I'm sure the next go around will be that much better. This is one of my next to do's soon. Thanks for posting.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM.... Bacon....... That looks amazing. I have been trying for a year. how do you keep the WSM at 165? I cant get mine below 200.

Back