Choripan (or Choripanes)

Greg in Utah

TVWBB Pro
Choripan is an insanely good sandwich that is popular in much of South America. It is nothing more than chorizo and chimichurri on a baguette. Chorizo varies quite a bit, with the dry Spanish style, or the red-chile packed Mexican style, being not quite right for this.

Argentine style chorizo isn't easy to find but an Italian red wine sausage (not too loaded up with fennel) makes a good substitute.

My crimson getting ready for a sauagepolooza..... The mini sausages are Salvadoran chorizo and they are like crack for your taste buds.

IMG_0430.jpeg

I made the chimichurri while the kettle was heating up. It is a vinaigrette that is packed with garlic (9 cloves) and a cup and half of flat leaf parsley.

Fading light and hunger prevented more photos, but I would urge anyone to try this. As a bonus you end up with chimichurri sauce which is outstanding on beef.

IMG_0437.jpeg

Chimichurri Sauce
  • 6 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Minced garlic (about 8-10 cloves)
  • 1 bay leaf, broken in half
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. dried hot red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1.5 cups finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, including stems
Whisk or food process that stuff together but keep it funky... err chunky.

Dude, that looks sensational. On a related note, it's hard to find chorizo around here that isn't greasy slop. We ground some ourselves while butchering some hogs recently, and it's not that hard to do. Might be worthwhile to search the interwebs for some of those seasonings and give it a try. Oh, and make yourself some steak frites with that chimichurri sauce too!

Back