Chicken skin

LinBerl

TVWBB Member
I made chicken quarters as my first smoke on my new 14.5" and the skin was fine, not crispy, but thin and tasty. Yesterday I did wings and thighs. The skin was thick and hard to bite through. I've read enough here now to know I need to get the heat up higher (it was around 250-275). I will prop the lid or door.
I read a method where you take out the water pan (although I foiled it, I did not use water) and cook skin side down for 30 minutes then finish skin up for another 30 over high heat of around 320.
I'm wondering, if I do this, can I put some foil under the heat sink so I don't have lots of drips to clean up in the bottom bowl? Will it have any effect on the cooking? Is there any other way to get the heat up? Should I use lump instead of briquettes when I cook chicken?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about cleaning up drips. They will turn into burnt carbon and will be pretty easy to scrape off. Having said that, I would think you could get the heat up just by using a water pan without water as you indicated. If I wanted to cook without a pan, I'd use a grill instead of a smoker.

When I do the "Hot and Fast" chicken method with a WSM, there is never any worry about drips. They hit the hot coals, bathe the chicken with goodness (vapor and smoke) and pretty much that is it. No problem whatsoever. It all burns up but because the chicken is so far away you don't have any of the problems with flare ups that you have with a grill.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks for the replies and advice. So - I guess next chicken will be no pan at all and I will prop the lid as needed to get the temps up. I could just keep doing chicken on my weber kettle, but I did love the smoke flavor in the quarters I made, so I will keep trying. I read one recipe said to start skin side down then flip after 30 minutes. I always thought it should be skin side up so the fat bastes the meat, and I haven't started using injections (want to get the smoker part right first), so I'm not sure. I think I will experiment and do half and half and see what comes out the best.
I'm also not sure about oiling the skin first. When I do crispy thighs in the oven, I always oil and salt pretty heavily to get a nice crisp skin. Does this work in the wsm the same way? I am hoping to smoke our turkey for Thanksgiving this year, but if I can't get a good chicken skin going, the family may vote against it.

I'm also not sure about oiling the skin first.

You can. I do it on turkeys, rarely on individual pieces. If you do than you want a relatively clean burning fire as in most of the heavy white smoke has dissipated. Smoke particles stick to an oily surface and if the smoke is heavy, the skin can take on a gritty bitter taste.

Tim

You can. I do it on turkeys, rarely on individual pieces. If you do than you want a relatively clean burning fire as in most of the heavy white smoke has dissipated. Smoke particles stick to an oily surface and if the smoke is heavy, the skin can take on a gritty bitter taste.

Tim

Thanks! I think I put my food on too soon anyway, I need to be more patient. I do think the oil holds the rub better and crisps it up a bit more. Good to know you use it on turkey as that is what I am working up to for the holidays....so far, the family is not all that impressed but I will get better =).

You can always go reverse sear. Smoke the chicken to just under done, say about 5 degrees then put them on direct heat to finish off and crisp up the skin. This has worked well for me.

I do them at 300+ and so I don't use my smoker. I use my Performer instead. Also, if you brine the wings for no more than half an hour and then use 1 part cornstarch to three parts rubs the skin will come out perfect. Here's my latest post with the cooking times, etc.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?55191-Sunday-Football-NASCAR-CHICKEN-WINGS!

Good luck!

Jose

Wow, Jose. I looked at that thread and your wings look awesome! I am absolutely going to try the cornstarch+rub! What do you brine with? And, please, make sure you post about how the whole chicken on the wsm with cornstarch works out....might be a good way to make sure my holiday turkey skin comes out crisp, too. THANK YOU!

Wow, Jose. I looked at that thread and your wings look awesome! I am absolutely going to try the cornstarch+rub! What do you brine with? And, please, make sure you post about how the whole chicken on the wsm with cornstarch works out....might be a good way to make sure my holiday turkey skin comes out crisp, too. THANK YOU!

^^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^

Back