Sunday + Football + NASCAR = CHICKEN WINGS!

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
Hi All,

Sunday I had two TV's going plus the Performer, the stove and the ice maker :). Went with my wing recipe that uses 1 part cornstarch for 3 parts of rub to crisp up the wings. Works like charm - they were crisp and delicious. I'm going to try the cornstarch rub next on a whole chicken on the WSM and see how that goes. I had problems with my charcoal and temps, similar to what Rich Dahl experienced in their WSM. That's a separate post though.

Any way, I'm using a new camera and still getting to know it. Nevertheless, here's the pics:

The Performer with wings on their first 25 minute run, hickory added:
i-F39rRWH-XL.jpg

The wings - side one after 25 minutes:
i-4WVXKq9-XL.jpg

And side two after another 25-minutes:
i-9W7hZfB-XL.jpg

Then sauced and back on for another 30-minutes:
i-TGTc7D7-XL.jpg

Off the grill and waiting to be plated:
i-5DcG9L8-XL.jpg

Finally plated with baked beans, celery and whole garlic fries:
i-rvKSMJp-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!

All the best,

Jose

Those are great looking wings my friend! Sorry you had problems similar to mine, hope you post what they were. Did a PSB on the wsm the other day and purposely did a repeat of the last two set ups and it was perfect, held steady at 275 for hours on end with one bottom vent 1/2 open and the top wide open just like the first cook. Go figure!

Jose
Those wings look perfect to me! Great color and great pics too.
I'm very intrigued About cornstarch mixed w/rub to dry chicken skin. Is this the real first time for you? Please if you have any link to the tip I would appreciate vety much.

Jose
Those wings look perfect to me! Great color and great pics too.
I'm very intrigued About cornstarch mixed w/rub to dry chicken skin. Is this the real first time for you? Please if you have any link to the tip I would appreciate vety much.

Thanks Enrico. I first saw this being done in a TV show called "Cook Country - From America's Test Kitchen" They wanted really crisp, smoked chicken wings so they experimented a lot and finally hit on a combination of brining and adding cornstarch as part of the rub. I use their measurements which call for 1 part cornstarch to 3 parts rub. I also brine the wings for half an hour. Cooked at 350 degrees.

I want to try it on my WSM on a whole chicken next and if it works I will also use it on a whole Turkey come November...

Thanks Enrico. I first saw this being done in a TV show called "Cook Country - From America's Test Kitchen" They wanted really crisp, smoked chicken wings so they experimented a lot and finally hit on a combination of brining and adding cornstarch as part of the rub. I use their measurements which call for 1 part cornstarch to 3 parts rub. I also brine the wings for half an hour. Cooked at 350 degrees.

I want to try it on my WSM on a whole chicken next and if it works I will also use it on a whole Turkey come November...

Thanks Jose.
I wait for your BCC w/cornstarch!

Back