Chicken Fajitas on the OTG

Brandon Risko

TVWBB Member
I was at the grocery store earlier and picked up a package of fresh-cut veggies on manager's special for $.50 that were "expiring" today. I figured this would be a good, yet different base for chicken fajitas.

I coated 2 chicken breasts in EVOO and covered them in Oakridge chicken rub. The veggies (red & green peppers, squash, zucchini and onions) were also tossed in a little EVOO and the Oakridge rub, along with some cilantro.

Started out with the chicken over direct heat and the veggies over indirect. I added some foil to the basket just so some of the smaller pieces wouldn't fall through.
CameraZOOM-20120320180250161.jpg

The fire was very hot so I quickly moved the chicken to indirect after flipping them. Pulled the chicken at 160* and let them rest for a bit. The veggies were still a bit crisp, so I may grill them a little longer next time and let them spend more time over direct heat, but this was my first time grilling veggies and using a basket.

The chicken came out nice and moist!
CameraZOOM-20120320183125226.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120320183118526.jpg

Plated on my wife's homemade flour tortillas and topped with guacamole. I also added a bit of El Yucateco Habanero sauce to mine. The side is what my wife and I call "snappy corn" which is really Bird's Eye Steamfresh Southwestern Corn. Very quick and easy as a side for Southwest type dishes. Excuse the funky, plastic plates.
icon_biggrin.gif

CameraZOOM-20120320183353556.jpg

Great looking meal Brandon! You will be doing a lot more of those veggies trust me! Once u start down that path it's all over.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also added a bit of El Yucateco Habanero sauce to mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are a braver man than I - that is some hot-hot stuff. Looks great - Homemade tortillas? Awesome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
I'll take three to go, please! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Make that six!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the compliments guys! As for the homemade tortillas, my wife buys her flour tortilla mix at the grocery (although it is getting harder to find) and I believe the only thing you do is add water, let the dough rise and then use a tortilla press. They usually turn out quite a bit thicker and "fluffier" than store bought tortillas and really adds a great element to the dish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
I'll take three to go, please! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Make that six!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll Take a six pack and a pound of that corn!
Great lookin meal Brandon! Welcome to the board.

Did the same cook a few days ago...And ate the leftovers @ work the day after. Some good eats thats for sure. Yours looks Top Notch!

Back