chicken drumsticks - the struggle continuesw

Oops!

I need to back up a little, this was the marinade, this was 100% the problem, vinegar does not belong in a chicken marinade (in my opinion). Got this off the net can't remember where, but will never ever use it again.

I'm hoping someone can offer up a really good chicken marinade because the chicken came out awesome as you will see.

I cook these wings for 1 hour at 225, had an internal temperature of 150 so then I kicked it up to 275 for 15 minutes, hit 160, then I pulled them and put the grill directly over the coals and seared them off to finish.

They were awesome! The skin was crispy, these were the first chicken I cooked this way in a decade and they were great! The marinade was the problem, as I said the vinegar over-powered everything, will never use it again.

I sure hope someone can offer up a good chicken marinade / recipe because I want to do this again soon, they were great! Thank you for looking.

Glad they turned out better than normal. I don't marinade chicken. Dry rub and if desired dip in sauce 30 minutes before I plan to pull them.

Howdy Ed, that's very close to the recipe I used, but no more vinegar with chicken for me! I think I will stick with dry rub and a spicy sauce like Eric mentioned but thanks for the input..

I see. Hope you find a marinade/rub or brine that makes you satisfied. Be sure to post pics/recipe if you come up with a winner. :wsm:

Last edited:
They look good. If you liked the rest of the flavor besides the vinegar, maybe cut the vinegar by half. Or try apple cider vinegar. Just a suggestion.

That chicken looks good. The only thing I would have done different is have the charcoal / wood down at the bottom.

I will try just my regular dry rub next time.

The 'shag' is kao-wool insulation.

I did have the coals in the bottom, was standard set-up (no water in the bowl), I took the barrel off and put the top grill directly over the base to finish.

I didn't get to cook them yesterday so the chicken stayed in the marinade overnight, although that's usually a good thing in this case they had a very strong cider vinegar flavor which I personally didn't care for.

These weren't bad, but I think if it was almost any other marinade it would have been excellent. I don't doubt that some people like this flavor profile but it was just not to my particular taste.

Edit: okay so I'm up snacking on them in the middle of the night, they're pretty good and I know they're going to make a great chicken salad for lunch tomorrow! (if there's any left) :) thanks for looking.

Last edited:
This is my go-to chicken marinade (from my original manual that came with my first Weber)....and, yes, it has vinegar in it, but at the right proportions, and balsamic vinegar is quite different in flavor than straight, white vinegar:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup oil (corn, veggie, olive....whatever floats your boat!)
1Tbsp dried oregano
1tsp dried basil
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

I either reserve some of this for basting, or simmer it up after the chicken marinates in it (15 minutes kills off anything nasty.....) I find that basting every 10 minutes or so really puts a great color (and flavor) on the bird.

Good luck, keep at it, you'll hit on a recipe and process you like!

Rich

I have insulation on my cooker Frank so I really can't judge charcoal usage.

I wanted to add that this chicken made about the best chicken salad sammies I've ever had! I will be doing this again this week!

Back