Chevys style chips and salsa.

Arun L.

TVWBB All-Star
I've been trying to recreate their thin chips (using corn tortillas) and roasted salsa.

After trying this salsa recipe a few times, my 2nd attempt was decent. I'm not sure if it's just like Chevys, but I liked the result, so I'll stick with it.

Recipe:

Pics of 2nd attempt:

However, I'm struggling with the chips.

I've tried a few recipes:

From my experimentation, in the first attempt, they tasted too much like corn tortillas, and not like chips.

I tried 3-4 times after that.

The technique I use now is that I dip the corn tortillas in oil, rather than apply the oil after cutting them into triangles, or brush it on afterwards.

And 350 degrees for 10 minutes is enough time. I don't notice anything better after that.

So now I can get it to where they taste like chips.

But, I want them to taste like Chevys THIN and salted chips.

In general, I like thicker chips for nachos or dipping things, but there's something about the taste of Chevys thin chips that I also like, so I want to recreate that. Any advice?

I've considered that it's possible I need to make my own tortillas, but I'm trying to avoid that. I want this to be easy to do, and something I can make quickly. I also don't want to buy another device, which would be a tortilla press.

I've also found that these homemade chips don't taste good at all the 2nd day, so making a small batch for immediate consumption is better. So that's 2-3 corn tortillas worth.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what the call it but it’s a white-ish dip. I said crack because it’s so addicting.

I think their queso? I've actually never had theirs before. I've had Chilis before, but not Chevys.

Is this it?
o.jpg

Well, neither one of these is white! 😂

There's a Mexican white sauce which is a mayo/sour cream chip dipping sauce, but I don't think Chevy's serves it. Maybe Dwain is thinking of Chuy's? They have a creamy jalapeno dip.

Well, neither one of these is white! 😂

There's a Mexican white sauce which is a mayo/sour cream chip dipping sauce, but I don't think Chevy's serves it. Maybe Dwain is thinking of Chuy's? They have a creamy jalapeno dip.

That's a good guess.

Their chips look similar too.

So while I like Chevys for their chips and salsa, I can see @Dwain Pannell liking Chuy's for their chips and jalapeno dip!

This picture has everything. Chips, jalapeno dip, salsa, and queso. Why order anything else?

o.jpg

Mr A... It's not the destination, it's the journey ;)
I wish there was a Chevys around here. Was years ago, but they closed.

Only 9 left here in CA, all in NorCal, none in the South Bay.

Wow, I didn't realize they had dwindled that much.

I did notice that at the last two places where I worked, the Chevys nearby had eventually closed.

Ok, I just saw the one near where I grew up, also closed, in 2016.

Why are they having so much trouble?

I don’t know if there is a Moe’s Southwest Grill in your area. They make a really good white queso that is easily the best item on their menu.

I don’t know if there is a Moe’s Southwest Grill in your area. They make a really good white queso that is easily the best item on their menu.

There is not.

I just saw that there used to be one in an area that I visit frequently, but it closed in 2017.

I did like reading their menu on their website. They have funny descriptions, every one is funny. Seems like I would like it.

I saw some "extra thin" corn tortillas in the store.

This time I tried using extra thin tortillas.

I think this is closer.

But they still look too dark.

Also, I forgot to use peanut oil. The recipe that said to use "extra thin" corn tortillas, said not to use olive oil, because of the low smoke point. But I forgot.

y43f2u4.jpg

Back