Charcoal ring/diffuser plate on Weber Performer

Colin

TVWBB All-Star
Today was the day the 7.5 lb pork butt went on the Performer. Not a big deal but I have been planning this for a week. What makes it significant is I have never done one on the Performer before, they have always been done on the 18.5 wsm. It is also the first cook using the charcoal ring and diffuser plate that I made per Tom Horsman's YouTube video replicating the charcoal ring and diffuser that comes with the new Master Touch Premium. Many thanks Tom, great video! I did a burn-in on it earlier this week and got six hours with a load of kbb with ambient temp in the low 30's so my hopes were high.
Very simple cook, prepared the butt with my go-to rub for ribs. Kansas City's Cowtown 'The Sqeal' made famous at Joe's KC barbecue. My family loves that stuff. Apple wood for smoke.
IMG_20210113_095824.jpg
Pit temp was slow coming up but made it to 220 after about 30 min., cool and breezy this morning. When the butt went on at 10:00 am, the temp settled at 240-250 for the first three hours. Very uneventful, the way I like it. Man, I'm kind of impressed with this contraption!
IMG_20210113_161920.jpg
At the six hour mark the internal temp stalled at 165 so I decided I would wrap with an apple juice spritz and finish it on the gasser.
IMG_20210113_162817.jpg

Took it off at 205 and let it rest for 30 minutes per Cook Commander's orders.

IMG_20210113_163611.jpg

IMG_20210113_190412.jpg
I really liked how easy it was to control the temp in the bbq range. I think this may be a really good low and slow alternative to the Slow n Sear. What's cool about it is it works so much like the WSM. I'm thinking if I see a Master Touch Premium in the big box store it may have to come home with me.

Last edited:
Colin,
Great looking cook and great post through and through. I am waiting on the aura defuser plate set up https://auraoutdoorproducts.com/collections/kettle-zone-pre-order-specials/products/kettle-zone
(supposed to be here tomorrow). I am really hoping I like it as much as you like your homemade defuser plate set up. I had every intention on making that Tom Horsman defuser plate, but when I saw this system, open box and 15% off I took the leap.
Question, how did you start up you coals? I am thinking of doing a mini minion method, but the owner of aura said to light a, whole chimney, I can't see that being needed or the best way. I saw Tom just lit two Weber Starter cubes and went from there. Any insights would be welcome, thanks in advance! I've only done low and slow on the WSM this is a big move going to the kettle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment Michael, and to answer your question both times I've started it up I used the Minion method with about a dozen brickettes lit in the small chimney starter. Kinda like the wsm. It does seem slow to warm up. Temp swings, up or down are very gradual. My Performer does not have the 'P' shaped bottom vents so that was a guessing game.
I'm sure that Aura system is going to work great, especially if you're getting it for less that a hundred bucks. That's about what I have in my home made set up.

I bought this last year and it has been amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084RRCMWW/?tag=tvwb-20

1610602845289.png

1610602871526.png

In fact, when I compared the BBQ that was coming off of it in my Performer and also considered how easy it was to use, I am probably going to sell my 14 WSM. I just don't see a need for it when I have this. My wife doesn't like heavy smoke flavor so I do my BBQ with briquettes only for the most part. After I started using this she starting complaining about how much smoke flavor I was getting, even though I'm only using briquettes and not a single piece of wood.

Thanks for the compliment Michael, and to answer your question both times I've started it up I used the Minion method with about a dozen brickettes lit in the small chimney starter. Kinda like the wsm. It does seem slow to warm up. Temp swings, up or down are very gradual. My Performer does not have the 'P' shaped bottom vents so that was a guessing game.
I'm sure that Aura system is going to work great, especially if you're getting it for less that a hundred bucks. That's about what I have in my home made set up.
Thanks so much for the reply, that makes me feel better in my thought on how to start the coals. Yeah, $59.50 total cost which include SS grates (which I don't have already) and it saved me having to build it on my own, I could not pass it up! I have a tri tip in the frig defrosting to cook tomorrow reverse sear planed to really test out what she can do!

View attachment 21224

View attachment 21225

In fact, when I compared the BBQ that was coming off of it in my Performer and also considered how easy it was to use, I am probably going to sell my 14 WSM. I just don't see a need for it when I have this. My wife doesn't like heavy smoke flavor so I do my BBQ with briquettes only for the most part. After I started using this she starting complaining about how much smoke flavor I was getting, even though I'm only using briquettes and not a single piece of wood.
Mike,
Now if I can ask you a few questions since your system is close to the one I am waiting on arriving. Do you agree with Colin and my thoughts that a minion method is the right plan to start the coals? Second how do you set the coals up in the kettle without the charcoal ring that Colin built? How many/much charcoal do you use? Thanks in advance for any assistance or insight!

That should do the job Mike. Looks interesting. How do you arrange your coals on the charcoal grate and how long will it last.
The charcoal ring and diffuser plate works so well in the kettle it has me wondering how much use the 18 wsm will get now. Not going to sell it though, it has been the best Fathers Day gift I have ever received. Kind of sentimental and it looks cool.

Last edited:
Mike,
Now if I can ask you a few questions since your system is close to the one I am waiting on arriving. Do you agree with Colin and my thoughts that a minion method is the right plan to start the coals? Second how do you set the coals up in the kettle without the charcoal ring that Colin built? How many/much charcoal do you use? Thanks in advance for any assistance or insight!
That should do the job Mike. Looks interesting. How do you arrange your coals on the charcoal grate and how long will it last.
The charcoal ring and defuser plate works so well in the kettle it has me wondering how much use the 18 wsm will get now. Not going to sell it though, it has been the best Fathers Day gift I have ever received. Kind of sentimental and it looks cool.

So, when I use it I use my Bro 'N Sear that I made and place it so that I can remove one half of the stone diffuser and manage the coals. When I use it I do half the Bro 'N Sear with unlit and dump a lit small chimney on top. I usually get about 5 or 6 hours out of the burn.

1610649048534.png

Here you can see the coal basket under the left side. I have the cast iron pan under the ham to catch the glaze drippings just because it was making a huge mess on the stone diffuser, although it turned out the diffuser would have been fine. They scrape right off, whereas that cast iron skillet got roasted with that cooked on glaze and I had to nuke the finish and start over on the seasoning.

1610649383876.png

Typically I put the coals on one side and the food on the opposite unless I have enough to fill it up. I've also been wanting to get another set of the grates so I could do two full layers of grill grate, lower position just above the diffuser and the upper like in the picture above.

I did just recently get a vortex, so my next cook on it I was going to use the vortex with the big side up, directly under the diffuser to see how that worked out, but haven't tried it yet.

Great looking cook Mike! You've certainly got that figured out. Thanks for the informative reply with great pics.

Tasty looking pork.

I have a Master Touch, but I did not know the new Premium model came with the ring and diffuser. Those are nice features, not to mention the hinged lid.

I have achieved good indirect cooking results on the kettle over the years with fire bricks (to segregate the fire on one side behind them) and the Slow n Sear, which does the same thing but allowed me to engage in retail therapy and stimulate the economy. The new Premium setup gives yet another way to accomplish the goal.

Thanks for the compliment Chris. I love your analogy of the SnS, got a chuckle out of that.
Another feature of the Master Touch Premium that makes the ring and diffuser work so well is the P shaped bottom vents. I think it will be on all new 22" kettles, not just Master Touch.

View attachment 21224

View attachment 21225

So this unit sits on the charcoal grate ? So where is your coals placed? At least when running the full diffuser.

So this unit sits on the charcoal grate ? So where is your coals placed? At least when running the full diffuser.
It sits on the normal grate brackets. The diffuser level does drop a little below the normal grate line so I have to make sure the coals aren't above the char basket edges.

Don’t get me wrong, but I think everyone is expecting to much from their kettle via this new toy. One has to remember that the other cookers that use a similar set-up are a lot more insulated, like a GE or Kamado Joe. Although this toy may work sometimes I doubt it works when it’s really cold out.

Don’t get me wrong, but I think everyone is expecting to much from their kettle via this new toy. One has to remember that the other cookers that use a similar set-up are a lot more insulated, like a GE or Kamado Joe. Although this toy may work sometimes I doubt it works when it’s really cold out.
I am only two cooks in with my new toy (third planned tomorrow), the aura system I referred to above, but neither day made in above 40 degree and it stayed rock solid both cooks and the second cook it did this for hours and hours. Both those cooks the vents, top and bottom, were seriously shut down, so on colder days I think it could be able to still hold temps. Here are those cooks.

Coming from my WSM 14 to this it is very similar to that experience, including my experience in the cold. I have tried to stay far away form saying anything close to, this will turn you kettle into a Kamado, but this has increased what I can do on my kettle. I love to cook low and slow and I do a lot of it, and I think this is a great addition for that need. I am more impressed after two cooks than I thought I would be.

Is this product going to be available in the US this year?

Weber® Charcoal Ring and Diffuser​

Out of stock
SKU
67571/67587
£150.00
klarna.png

Finance available for qualifying orders above £500
Weber Charcoal Ring and Diffuser
  • Fits all Weber® 57cm Kettle barbecues.

Notify me when this product is in stock

Weber® Charcoal Ring and Diffuser

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Weber Charcoal Ring and Diffuser​

The charcoal ring helps keep your fuel in the minion ring or the snake method, which then helps the slow burn of the fuel, this will make your fuel last longer.
The diffuser plate diffuses the heat from the cooking grate which will help protect larger joints of meat enabling you to do low and slow cooks more easily.

I’m always astonished at stuff like this being available in Uk/ Europe before USA? I’ve never understood that.

And, whilst I’m a huge Weber fan, £150 for this stuff is just ludicrously expensive. Absolute madness. Weber, I think you’ve got this badly wrong. I couldn’t justify even half that figure in US Dollars! .

Is this product going to be available in the US this year?

Weber® Charcoal Ring and Diffuser​

Out of stock
SKU
67571/67587
£150.00
klarna.png

Finance available for qualifying orders above £500
Weber Charcoal Ring and Diffuser
  • Fits all Weber® 57cm Kettle barbecues.

Notify me when this product is in stock

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Weber Charcoal Ring and Diffuser​

The charcoal ring helps keep your fuel in the minion ring or the snake method, which then helps the slow burn of the fuel, this will make your fuel last longer.
The diffuser plate diffuses the heat from the cooking grate which will help protect larger joints of meat enabling you to do low and slow cooks more easily.
PDAY,
Many thanks for the post. That is exactly what we wish for here in the states. I think it will eventually get here just because it is an accessory that works so well. I think it will sell for whatever the stupid price ends up being, because......................we buy Weber stuff!

I didn't want to wait so I built my own. £150?! OUCH!!! That is pretty steep. But I guess we do plop down $200 for a slow n sear and drip n griddle.

Attachments

• 20210117_140402 (1).jpg
    20210117_140402 (1).jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 10
Everything that has been said in the last three post is what lead me purchasing the open box with 15% off Aura Kettle Cooking System so for 60 bucks. Yeah I would love the Weber diffuser plate and charcoal ring, but we have no clue if it is coming to the US and if it does the price is going to be high. I just didn't want to go the slow and sear direction either. However, after three cooks with my new diffuser system I really think I am going to add a WSM charcoal ring because I have learned (like the Weber ad says) that the charcoal ring does help the even consistent burn for a minion method. If I add that WSM charcoal ring I will be all in dor $110. At first I would have said that was too much money and I can't justify it (I bought my WSM 14 and my Master Touch both used for $85 each), but after using this it works really really well and I know adding the charcoal ring would greatly increase the effectiveness. I was really debating on spending my limited bbq budget looking for a used bigger WSM 18 or to add a diffuser system to the kettle. After this purchase I do not regret the choice at all and for $110 I now have (my little WSM 14 that uses so little charcoal and) the surface area of the 22 in Kettle when I need/want that larger space for low and slow.

Back