Charcoal bins on performer

Bill Farmer

TVWBB Super Fan
How many use the charcoal bin on their performer to hold charcoal? If so, do you have problems with the charcoal absorbing the moisture in the air?

It's very humid here in the summer Bill, and I've never had a problem.
I do keep it in the bag inside the bin.

Just keep the coal in the bag and you should be fine. Granted it wont keep over winter, but for normal use it will be fine.

I do the same as Bob and Andrew, keep it in the bag in the bin. Never had a problem. I do use it up rather quickly though.

Like the other guys I keep mine in the bag than in the Performer ben. However, San Diego has very mild weather and our rain fall is about 7" a year. I find the charcoal ben very convenient and a great place to store a bag of charcoal.
Good luck and good cooking Bill.

Bill

Seeing that I have multiple charcoal grills I keep my charcoal in a Kingsford charcoal caddy for portability, I use my two performer bins to store my smoking woods, one has chunks and the other has chips. I put the wood in labeled zip lock bags which keeps them moisture free.

I have kept the coals in the bin inside a large yard plastic trash bag and have never had any issues. I did this when I lived in Virginia (out on the deck) through snow, wind rain, etc. Now that I live in Southeast Louisiana, I still haven't had any problems. If there would ever be moisture problems it would be here in Louisiana!

Mine is too old for the bin but, I know a couple of folks who use them year round using the bag in the bin technique with no problems.
I use a Kingsford caddy too, outside until it snows then it lives either on the backporch or in the garage.
I'm still about a bag a week until it gets really snowy!

I do the same as Bob and Andrew, keep it in the bag in the bin. Never had a problem. I do use it up rather quickly though.

I do the same thing. The bin holds a bag of KB. There is also usually between 200 to 400 pounds staged in the garage.

I use plastic buckets w lids. They don't hold a whole bag but thats why I have two buckets. Well, three with one holding lump.
easy for me to carry. But I have had stuff out in the open under cover and had no coal issues.

Until this summer I left it in the bag but decided to try it with out.I use a fire place scoop to get the amount I want and to place it with out having to touch it for the most part.No problems here in E Tn keeping every thing in the carport dry and burning good

I use the bin to store my chimney and gloves. I store my charcoal in a Kingsford caddy.

I use a Kingsford caddy as well for briquettes. I use a lot of lump because of the kamado cookers and normally have one of two different bags open at a time for different applications. I store them all in my garage. My charcoal bins are where I put my charcoal baskets and several similar items like some old tongs I use for moving lit charcoal around.

I use all of the above. In fact, a few months ago I opened the charcoal bin and realized I have had a bag of Cowboy lump in the bottom that had been sitting in there for at least 3 years and it worked just fine in spite of all the sparks. I have some in the garage, some in the shed, and some by the Performer on the patio. Never a problem.

Back