Charcoal baskets to improve charcoal effeciency?

Josh - CT

TVWBB Member
Hello,

I have a 22 WSM and it can be a beast when consuming charcoal. I have seen a number of comments on this forum that seem to indicate that people achieve greater charcoal efficiency by using a charcoal basket. While I am sure there are more, the two that seem to be mentioned are:

I currently have the stock charcoal ring and would strongly consider ditching it if it meant being able to use less charcoal going forward. For those that own either of these, can you share your opinion please? Also, are there others that achieve the same results?

-Josh

Not often. I find that a lot of my cooks are for chicken, ribs etc. that are typically prepared hot and fast. Why do you ask?

I haven't used either but aren't you confusing efficiency with capacity. In both cases they say you can't use the water bowl with them and I never did with my 22 because heating the water takes more fuel. I looked at both websites and Harry Soo's review of the Hunsacker and I don't think they claim increased efficiency. The users get longer cook times because of increased capacity. The 22 just needs a lot of fuel to maintain temp.

You might be right. For some reason I was thinking that because both essentially look like a chimney starter that there was something about the design that led to the efficiency. I'll have to go back and re-read with capacity in mind.

Josh, A pound of charcoal is going to contribute about 9600 BTUs to heating your WSM no matter what WSM charcoal ring it's in. The cooker design determines efficiency. You can modify a WSM's design and efficiency by adding a thermal blanket to it. This winter you'll need it in CT. I did a 2 year tour at NAS Brunswick, Me. so I have an idea of what you're going to experience in October and beyond. The 22 uses a lot of fuel in Florida and it's going to use a lot more in a CT. winter. Stock up on charcoal during the Labor Day sales, get a thermal blanket of some sort and have fun cooking through the winter.

Hi Josh,

Have you looked at the one from arborfab.com? They have one for the WSM 22.5" as well as a minion basket. It holds a lot of coal but I have not been able to get past the price. Still, you may want to consider that as another option.

Steve

Has anyone used an arborfab charcoal ring in a 14 or 18? I don't know that I will be cooking overnight in my 14 but I wonder if more capacity would help my 18 in that department. Put this on my Christmas list - so I may find out this winter.

dimensions - I would be able to use the water pan and significantly improving capacity.
15-5/16” OD Basket x 6" Tall

Has anyone used an arborfab charcoal ring in a 14 or 18?

referenced thread left water pan question hanging. I think it will have sufficient clearance to still access the coal area from door.

15-5/16” OD Basket x 6" Tall vs 14.5″ OD x 4.75″

Has anyone used an arborfab charcoal ring in a 14 or 18? I don't know that I will be cooking overnight in my 14 but I wonder if more capacity would help my 18 in that department. Put this on my Christmas list - so I may find out this winter.

dimensions - I would be able to use the water pan and significantly improving capacity.
15-5/16” OD Basket x 6" Tall

Andy

look into the woodshed videos (slow-hand). He has a range of simple fabricated charcoal baskets to chose from. They seem to be pretty good quality and reasonably priced too. He's customizing one for my double stacked 14.5 WSM as we speak.

Andy

look into the woodshed videos (slow-hand). He has a range of simple fabricated charcoal baskets to chose from. They seem to be pretty good quality and reasonably priced too. He's customizing one for my double stacked 14.5 WSM as we speak.
would like to see a pic of the double stack :)

did check out woodshed last night. seems like a good guy and has his store shut down for health and through Thanksgiving. I am intending to a buy a 14 basket from him (if possible) - both as support and it would be cool to cook 10 hrs on the 14.

also found a video of the arbor fab ring in use with a full water pan. I think this would be a nice to have.

Back