Charcoal availability and pricing

Christopher, I bought a few other things from the same store, I get trapped lol. They had meat church spices I was in need for some of those anyways so I felt I offset the shipping prices....I won’t use it for a while but I will be sure to let you know. Warming up the grill for some reverse sear chops tonight.😳

I did indirect chops tonight with 2 pieces of apple and the flavour of wood was over powering. I didn’t really mind but wife couldn’t finish

What I am noticing is for food where you are eating the entire outer part (chicken pieces, steaks, fish, pork chops, etc....) 1 small chunk of wood at the start is enough. 1 chunk is equivalent to about 20-30 wood chips. However if you are eating a slice of the meat where only the edges have the smokiness, then you want a thicker smoky flavor since you are only eating a fraction of it. Obviously brisket, pulled pork, ribs.

Yeah that was what I was trying to suggest to the MRS. Of course I don't know yet, I have a pork butt lined up for one of the next few weekends. I was saying from now on 1 piece of wood only and maybe even on the grate rather than on the 250 degree coals, there was so much smoke last night, it was pretty crazy. I'm concerned also that the pork butt will take considerably longer than what I am used to on the Traeger. I would normally smoke it for about 10 hours or so including the crutch and cooler it for at least one hour. 6 lb butt, normally want to eat around 6 or so.

Would you also believe my first cook, look back at those wings if you like was at least 3 hunks of wood, both on the grill and under came out just right for the smoke......maybe its the skin on the chicken???? and everything with skin can take it? The chicken breast and the chops we obviously skin free.

It is all about taste preference I think. I like it smokey, but not to the point where the roof of my mouth has a bitter aftertaste.

Wood might be too green if it is smoking like crazy. Should be no problem with wood right on the coals.

BTUs are BTUs...if the temp is where you want it, pork butt should take as long as it needs to get to temp. Where do you get your pork butts? How much?

20 minutes away is a new to the community butcher....he owns a bunch of pork farms and does all the right things. He gets a lot of his beef and chicken items right from other butcher shops that I go to but his pork is his pork and its good. JTK farms is where I buy my butts. I have 2 other locations that I acquire my beef, chicken and similar products from. 1 is really good and treats me right, just a phone call and any specific needs will be taken care of for me in a day or 2, like my 5" thick beef ribs......this is what I cook instead of brisket most of the time. These are real treats and my guests just die for them. I don't remember how much per pound for the pork it works out to being boneless, I find the bone in is no added benefit and the price is the same. It ends up being around $30 for a 5lb roast usually and it gets tied up for me and its ready to go right away. I usually keep about 2 5lb and one 8lb at my house all the time, I always like to be ready.

I did indirect chops tonight with 2 pieces of apple and the flavour of wood was over powering. I didn’t really mind but wife couldn’t finish
When I grill chicken,chops and steak I only use the wood chips.I save the chunks of hickory, pecan, etc for smoking. I will use roughly a palm full of chips and it's perfect amount of smoke flavor.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing for the most part. Have to get out and find some chips now I think
I don't have any hickory yet so maybe some hickory and something a bit more mild
Lots of chunks now....Pecan, Apple and Alder
Appreciate the advice

Since you have been saying that the wood was on the charcoal, how about changing it up next time... To INSIDE the charcoal pile. You'll get an entirely different burn rate on that smoking wood. May help with the over smoked issue...

Just a thought...

Since you have been saying that the wood was on the charcoal, how about changing it up next time... To INSIDE the charcoal pile. You'll get an entirely different burn rate on that smoking wood. May help with the over smoked issue...

Just a thought...
Yea, I think the smoke traveling thru the hot coals cleanses it somewhat.

Have to get out and find some chips now I think
I don't have any hickory yet so maybe some hickory and something a bit more mild
Lots of chunks now....Pecan, Apple and Alder
You could take those chunks ( as long as they are straight grained) and split into smaller chunks.
Use a hatchet as a wedge and strike with a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer.
That keeps your fingers out of harm's way.

I was just looking for chips and my buddy says he tried chips but they burnt up really fast. I think I like that route you just posted Timothy. just make a few smaller pieces and go with that. I'm doing a burger run tonight, I usually don't add the smoke to burgers so I will try just a little bit and maybe try what Bob says and throw some into the mix as well. thanks guys.

I had to drive all over town to find six bags of b&b oak briquettes a few weeks ago before a hurricane.

It's good stuff, really good stuff but the briquettes are smaller than I like.

But they stay very solid as it ashes they don't turn to a powdery mess, like a lot of charcoal briquettes do.

Price is reasonable as well about $0.50 a pound.

Last edited:
Burgers turned out top shelf, one of the best I had. I was able to find some wood chunks and chips locally. I used hickory chips....indirect over hotter heat for about 15 minutes, took lid off for around 5 minutes and the coals were very hot. threw the burgers on the flames and did about 90 seconds per side...slightly pink in the middle and a light hint of smoke

Also went to every store in town to get charcoal yesterday, all I could find was 3 8lb bags of lump, and its not the best stuff, I tried it last night and it popped and snapped a bunch. There isn't any other options though, even the guy at the store cannot believe how hard it is to get, skids go in a day or 2. It only cost me $10 a bag too.

Smoked sausages and mixed potatoes. I used lots of smoke tonight. Sausages were juicy and the smoke was just right. I’m sold on if it has a barrier like skin or casing then it can take a lot more smoke....im learning here

Attachments

• A1DB66E4-8779-4801-92F6-A846EDEF572A.jpeg
    A1DB66E4-8779-4801-92F6-A846EDEF572A.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 8

Back