Charcoal availability and pricing

You all should be seeing Weber charcoal. They stopped selling it in the states but, are ramping up in Canada. Lucky for you not so much for us in the states.

Bought 2 bags of Weber Briquettes today in Canada (near Toronto). They had about 10 at the bbq store I went to. Salesman said he hasn't heard anything about them discontinuing in Canada and says he always has stock as they deliver to him every few days. There have been no out of stock times.

Nice pick up, I have 2 bags of briquettes, I try to use them but started with lump when I started with charcoal and I cannot stop. I just wont use the bricks I don't think.

Love that Weber. Have one bag left for my Christmas Rib Roast.

Just picked up a bag of Royal Oak “Chef’s Select” Organic Hardwood Briquettes. Anyone tried i?

Attachments

• 4FBA2923-E6F2-40E8-9959-9724294D7151.png
    4FBA2923-E6F2-40E8-9959-9724294D7151.png
    565.5 KB · Views: 0
Since you have been saying that the wood was on the charcoal, how about changing it up next time... To INSIDE the charcoal pile. You'll get an entirely different burn rate on that smoking wood. May help with the over smoked issue...

Just a thought...
Agreed. I put mine on the bottom

Just picked up a bag of Royal Oak “Chef’s Select” Organic Hardwood Briquettes. Anyone tried i?

I have another thread going about Royal Oak All Natural briquettes, and I think it may be the same thing you just purchased.

https://tvwbb.com/threads/new-charcoal.74223/

We don't have any Best hardware stores nearby, so it might be hard for me to find Chef's Select.

Yeah, I have four bags of Weber left, but that is being left for only long cooks. I have been uses RO Chefs Select as my go to for everyday cooks for the last few months and really like the stuff. It is good, burns clean, just doesn't last as long in my WSM 14 as Weber does.

Only one I use now. But, at 70 years of age, those 40 pound bags are getting heavy ;)

Last edited:
I'm getting low on fuel and will be stocking up soon. Canadian Tire only offers me lousy choices for not really reasonable pricing. It's very hit and miss all over the place around here. I was thinking of making an order with Dickson bbq. Chris, have you had any experience with them before? I know they are situated right up near you and they are a full go bbq joint. They are offering Weber bricks all the time at $20.00 per bag, which is about $15 US. Everyone seems to love them maybe I should get a few, half dozen bags........

I'm getting low on fuel and will be stocking up soon. Canadian Tire only offers me lousy choices for not really reasonable pricing. It's very hit and miss all over the place around here. I was thinking of making an order with Dickson bbq. Chris, have you had any experience with them before? I know they are situated right up near you and they are a full go bbq joint. They are offering Weber bricks all the time at $20.00 per bag, which is about $15 US. Everyone seems to love them maybe I should get a few, half dozen bags........
Yes you should!!!

Not sure if Dickson’s don’t ship charcoal or they have an extra surcharge because of the shipping weight. I know there was an issue with it when I inquired. I have ordered accessories (Slow N Sear) from them before and it was free shipping. They are more in the city...I am further out. They are a 45-minute drive into Toronto for me.

I bought my Weber Briquettes at Barbecues Galore in Oakville. Burlington also has them. I also bought some Jealous Devil XL lump and Chunx Lump there which I have yet to try.

I find the Weber burns a bit hotter than KBB and has less ash but also burns a bit faster.

Canadian Tire should carry KBB as well as Royal Oak Ridge. Does your CDN Tire not have any? Home Depot (same price as CDN Tire) and Home Hardware ($2 more) should have KBB as well.

Costco should have Cowboy Lump which I have never tried.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips Chris. I start going through checkout at Dickson's and the over $100 for free shipping applies to smaller less weight products
I put 4 bags of Weber and other things in the cart and there is a charge for the heavier items, shipping goes up to $8.00 for the lot.
I would buy Royal Oak if my CT had it here but both CT and Home Hardware rarely have any charcoal available at all and I have been buying what is available with no satisfaction. This is why I was going to place an order for a couple hundred and stock up, I'm getting sick of this crap charcoal.

1606231937558.png

Has anyone tried brand name
MASTER CHEF Premium charcoal briquettes?
CT has them here and there are pretty cheap $15 for a 15 lb bag.
Green bag, haven't seen them around before

That's not a bad shipping price at all. I tried it too for 6 bags and it said $8.70. I guess it is worth it....if they will do it. I will probably use that option too when I get low if I want to pay the extra for the Weber or other better briquettes or lump.

I just checked my CT and they do have 11 bags left of this brand. It is a Quebec made hardwood lump from the province. I did enjoy using it, a fair bit of tiny chunks in the bottom though but the flavour and cooks are great.......the bad side. $25 per bag.
1606234170342.png

I find the Weber burns a bit hotter than KBB and has less ash but also burns a bit faster.

Chris,

To start this post off I want to say that I have the WSM 14 not the 18. I do think that changes the game in some ways. What I have read here KBB does seem to do much better i the 18 then the 14. Also, one of the biggest concerns around here with the 14 is the length one can get out of a full ring of charcoal. Now with all that being said, with my little guy when I used KBB with a minion method, using boiling water in the water pan during warm spring days, I could only get six hours with KBB and I had to keep all vents 100% open and I could never get it over 250 degrees. However, as soon as I went over to Weber, with the same set up, one full basket of charcoal has gotten me over 12 hours over a half dozen times with coals left over, and the one time I pushed it went over 15 hours. I also can dail in the temps from 225 to 275 with a tiny minion method to start. When I use my Master Touch, using Weber charcoal vs. KBB the temps with the same amount of charcoal is 100 degrees hotter with the Weber and after I am done my cook and shut down the grill, the charcoal left is crazy, and I am able to use it for my next cook easily.

I love Weber and still haven't figured out what exactly I am going to do when I run out of Weber here in the states for my longest cooks. I have 3 full bags and a little of a 4th left. I did a 8 lb pork shoulder this weekend with Weber. It was my first low and slow cook without water in the water pan. I had two of the bottom vents completely shut down, the third open a crack, and the top vent closed down 50% (first time I touched the top vent) to get in dailed in at 250. I pulled the shoulder after 11 hours and I still have a good bit of charcoal. I really want to get comfortable without water so the move to non Weber charcoal will be less painful.

In my little 14, Weber is super fuel, if I could keep getting it, it would be all I used. While it was pricier, I could reuse it at a rate that slowed down my charcoal use and I would be using it in my Master Touch still also.

Hey Darryl,

I think I had bought that once for campfire cooking years back from a bbq store in Vaughan. From what I remember it was "alright"...nothing bad, nothing good, but quite a bit of dust in the bag....but that is probably typical as I am not a "lump" expert.

Not sure if I would back up the truck when the Weber Briquettes are pretty awesome and Jealous Devil is supposed to be the best around. I might try a couple bags of each and compare.

I am just going to grab about 3 bags or so, I was just being silly.......and I have a civic so it really only holds a bit lol
I don't want to pay the price tag on the jealous devil too bad.......but I would try it out. This brown bag one here is pretty good. I bought 3 bags in October and only have 1 left, it does do a good job and I need a bit hotter burner for certain meals. Need to get myself through until after Christmas for sure, then I think I will get me some weber bricks. I have about 15 weber fire cubes left only too, these are harder to find than charcoal around here. I have been using those blue bags posted above for the last 2 or 3 weeks and I just want to throw out my last bag. I wonder if they will take it back, I did buy it at CT.

They take anything back usually....

Remember the Maple is only 17.64lbs for $25... the Jealous Devil is 20lbs for $38.99...so ya it is a premium...but the reviews are sick! :cool:

I have a few bags of the Weber Briquettes and of course the Jealous Devil XL Lump and Chunx. Have a couple old bags of Royal Oak Ridge from years back that I was gonna use for camping...now gonna just use for bbq emergencies.

So far, with everything I have experienced, I am gonna enjoy the Weber, try the others and look for sales of KBB. Then probably order a delivery from Dickson's or visit Barbecues Galore again and pick something up if I am in the area.

Back