Charcoal availability and pricing

I just checked my CT and they do have 11 bags left of this brand. It is a Quebec made hardwood lump from the province. I did enjoy using it, a fair bit of tiny chunks in the bottom though but the flavour and cooks are great.......the bad side. $25 per bag.
View attachment 18421

Hey, not sure if you have a Rona anywhere near you or not, but the same Maple Leaf Lump is only $19.99 there. $5 cheaper than CDN Tire. Not sure if you pulled the trigger yet. You can reserve it and pick up.

Link - https://www.rona.ca/en/feuille-derable-feuille-derable-hardwood-lump-charcoal-8-kg-cha8kgbr-1484006

Hey, not sure if you have a Rona anywhere near you or not, but the same Maple Leaf Lump is only $19.99 there. $5 cheaper than CDN Tire. Not sure if you pulled the trigger yet. You can reserve it and pick up.

Link - https://www.rona.ca/en/feuille-derable-feuille-derable-hardwood-lump-charcoal-8-kg-cha8kgbr-1484006
Yeah I seen RONA was cheaper, but the RONA here in my location is seriously disabled.
They are right out to lunch, they never have anything and the website doesn't post quantities of any products.
I stop there as my 3rd option as it is closest to my home.
I hit the CT and the Home Hardware and the RONA as a last resort.
I hate the RONA in t,burg.

I did pull the trigger though and I am glad I went to CT
Left with 4 big bags of the maple leaf.
I do know that the cost is a bit more but.............
They had 2 " lesser " brands of charcoal on skids on display for sale, neither seem like great options but the cost is less
One was a " quick light " version
Anyways I eventually found someone to help me out and they checked the product number and said it is upstairs.
Sure enough she came back with a shopping cart with 4 bags in it for me.
Yeah it is a bit more money but in theory they are just storing it for me at their location and I don't have to buy 11 at once, the odds are good that most people will just go and buy what is on the floor, even if they look online and it says 7 in stock and they go and see zero, they could possibly think they sold them as I think the stock count only updates daily.
I used it last night for a high heat indirect steak sear.
Loaded the vortex and threw on the sear grate. Set them to the side and they heated up fairly quickly with some hickory smoking away.
threw them over the heat for about 1 minute per side. They were very good, the steaks were actually fairly thin so it went considerably faster than I thought, still came out slightly pink.
I recently picked up killer hogs steak spice rub.
Used only that last night to get a good idea how it tastes.
It's the best steak spice I have ever had, all these other options are not near as good......will try it on some burgers next.
I would highly recommend this for most beef application, maybe except brisket......or beef ribs but who knows.

I’ve been loving the bag of this stuff I got from Amazon. $20 for 20lbs delivered. Kinda steep but it’s solid

Attachments

• 449CE259-7688-42EA-8BA5-E7B693358A87.jpeg
    449CE259-7688-42EA-8BA5-E7B693358A87.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 3
I'm right out on the East Coast in St. John's and also have limited charcoal options. I just picked up 4 18lbsbags of Cowboy lump at Costco for $9.97 clearance. Been reading the reviews and wondering if I should use it? I also buy KFB from Canadian Tire and Home Depot usually at about $14.99 for 16lbs bag.

My wife laughs at me because everytime I go to a supermarket or hardware store, I rush right to the BBQ section to see if there are any torn or damaged bags... just got a ripped KFB 16 lbs bag half price at Dominion (Loblaws).

Jeff

Last edited:
I’m not a big fan of cowboy, but it’s fine overall. I just prefer Royal Oak for lump, and it’s readily available here. Regardless, for that price, I would have done the same!

From the different kinds I have been using lately I have settled....???....decided, that's better.....on loving FOGO lump black bag charcoal. The yellow bag seems like the pieces would be too big where the black bag does have some pieces that are too small, most of it is great sized. From a price point it is $4 more per bag ( 17lb ) than the brand I thought I liked a lot, with good flavor but sparked like crazy. While it may seem expensive to most, I can get this black FOGO by mail and if I buy enough there is no shipping on it. In CAD monies it costs me $30.00 per bag. I always have a bit left over for lighting my next cook. I also run ( thanks to everyone here ) Weber bricks for my long cooks.

Back