Ceramic Bakeware

SE Davis

TVWBB Pro
Hey All, I have a family heirloom ceramic casserole dish. It was make by my late sister (breast cancer) in 97' or 98'. I've used it countless times in the oven up to 400 plus degrees. Thinking of using it in the WSM. While heat isn't a concern, what about smoke/grease damage to the finish if cooking a side dish? Any comments appreciated.
Thanks, Scott

Last edited:
No way I'd use that piece in the WSM... But that's just me, I'm incredibly sentimental.

I have an old ceramic meat-platter that belonged to my grandma, mom had it out couple years ago for Christmas dinner, she carefully washed and dried the dish and then held it close to her chest as she told me the story of it belonging to grandma and how she came to have it…and then asked if I wanted it. I said YES and she made me take it home that day. Thanks mom!! :)

I use this old, cracked platter serve up the Thanksgiving turkey and ham when I have the whole family together... and then carefully store it away… It probably wouldn't sell for more than .50 in a yard sale but its priceless to me.

I wouldn't take the chance. I would just get a cheapie at a yard sale and use that. But I'm a bit sentimental in my old age. :cool:

Well I do agree with the above comments, but if you are really thinking on using it on the WSM, than wrap the outside with foil.
I do this with some corning ware pcs and notice rarely any smoke or grease deposits.
You're call tho.:)

Tim

I agree with Timothy... If you DO use it on the WSM, foil the outside. Although, I too, hold sentimental value to a lot of things, I feel that if this was be hardly used, that person up above would be wondering why it's sitting in a cupboard.

I am sure that your sister up above would be sharing that meal cooked on her dish...

Curtzo.

Agreed with all the above. Don't put it in the WSM.

However, if you do put any glass-like dishes (like corningware) in there, it WILL turn black from the smoke.

Magic Eraser will clean it (whereas soap and water won't).

Scott,

Is the dish glazed inside and out or is it porous? If it is porous I wouldn't expose it to the smoker because the flavor will be captured in the dish. While this is ordinarily a good thing, it might not go well if you subsequently want to do a more delicately flavored recipe in your oven.

I too have mixed emotions about using something like that. I would love that it provided a connection to the family while being used for its intended purpose but I would fear breaking it. Tough call...

Regards,

John

Ive used a lot of Pampered Chef stoneware in my WSM, glazed and unglazed. They will get very, very, very stained after use. The difference is that the glazed surfaces will clean right off, the unglazed are pretty much permanently stained. Not a big deal to me, but not something I would chance on such a piece as you have.

I agree with the majority here don't use it in the WSM. I've got a really old cast iron pan that belonged to my grandmother then my Mom and it sat in her basement for thirty years after she passed away. It took me months to bring that rusty hulk back from the dead and I won't use it on my grills or smoker not taking any risks with it, bought a new one to use outside.

Sorry, I'd go one step further and not even use it in the oven depending on what other things I had to remind me of a loved one. I certainly get the use it and remember philosophy, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe as a serving dish. I'd put it in the curio cabinet with some dried flowers or something in it. Again, not criticizing, just saying what I would do.

As others have said, the WSM will almost certainly stain it.

Sorry for the slow reply on my question. Been busy with life and out of town for a bit. Here's a look at the casserole dish. My sister hand painted this piece to replace an original which mom bought in Juarez around 1950. The original was red clay painted yellow. I have been wanting to do a smoked version of a family recipe (Green Chile Casserole). I'm going to look for a round disposable aluminum pan for the cook and use this to serve in.
5pms.jpg

Thanks all for the comments,
Scott:wsm:

Ive used a lot of Pampered Chef stoneware in my WSM, glazed and unglazed. They will get very, very, very stained after use. The difference is that the glazed surfaces will clean right off, the unglazed are pretty much permanently stained.

This has not totally been my experience. I have a cheapo stoneware baking dish from Publix that I use it exclusively on my grills for everything from desserts to casseroles. Even though it is glazed, it get deeply stained from smoke and it takes a bunch of elbow grease to get it clean. To give you some idea, the dishwasher alone won't do it. Not sure it is the quality of the glazing on the quality of my dishwasher. That said, there it absolutely no way I would consider putting a treasured piece like you have through that.

Sorry for the slow reply on my question. Been busy with life and out of town for a bit. Here's a look at the casserole dish. My sister hand painted this piece to replace an original which mom bought in Juarez around 1950. The original was red clay painted yellow. I have been wanting to do a smoked version of a family recipe (Green Chile Casserole). I'm going to look for a round disposable aluminum pan for the cook and use this to serve in.
5pms.jpg

Thanks all for the comments,
Scott:wsm:

I wouldn't. It's too nice and means too much.

I lost my dad a dozen years ago. he left me his tools and bbq stuff. I shelved them initially for a few years because of sentiments but then realized that using them reminds me of him and of times we bbq'd or worked on vehicles together. yours is a different story, never want to ruin a precious or delicate item. id say let your conscience guide you - if you could ask her would she want you to use it, or save it? she might like the idea of you recalling yalls fond memories every time you grill. or she might be like my sisters and say 'hell no don't put that on the pit!". either way youre cool.

dream like youll live forever. live like youll die tomorrow.

don't lift the lid...

wait! so I didn't see the pic before I posted the philosophy. with the paint and the handles/knob and the nature of the piece id say keep it inside for sure and go get a different casserole dish for the pits.

what a nice piece. don't burn the rabbit:)

don't lift the lid...

Back