cast iron grates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim,
Leave em dirty( well seasoned) for me. Email me about this. My info is in my profile. No fool'n.

Do they make a ci for the 26? I don't see one on the link you posted George.

Reel Smokin'

Shaun, not sure why the link isn't working for you, but Craycort does sell a grate for the 26.75. I have it and love it. Go to the home website, www.cast-iron-grate.com, select Onlinestore/US Store, then look to the left of the screen. You should see "Cast Iron Grate - 26.75". Hope this helps. Oh, I'm not affiliated with Craycort, just a happy owner of one of their grates.

Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
Any updates?

I wonder if a CI from a Weber gasser might be an option? They are porcelain-enameled for easy upkeep!

I looked at one of those at Home Depot the other day. They had a Performer on display right next to it so I took the enameled gasser grate and put it on the 22.6 standard grate for the Performer.

It fit perfectly between the SS grate hinges. Might be a tiny, tiny bit wide, but it didn't stop the grates from opening easily.

So after two years of looking at them I'm gonna pull the trigger and get a set of Craycort cast iron grates for my Performer. Was grilling some steaks (beef and tuna) this weekend, and although the grill was over 500 degrees, results were not as good as when I use the PCI on my Q. I was hopin' that Weber would put out their own PCI version, especially since they seem to be more readily available for their gas grills than they were a few years back, but alas that may not be the case anytime soon, especially since they put out the Gourmet grate set. Personally I'm not liking the idea of the hot zone in the middle of the grill (plus its relatively small CI area) so I'll go for the full CI grate.

As I was ordering I noticed that they have a promotion\coupon code field on their ordering page. Is there any code available through this site or that anyone is aware of, maybe knock a few buck off the price (cover the shipping). Given the amount of discussion and publicity (and business) this thread\forum generates on their product it would be cool if Craycort threw us a bone....... :). Getting them regardless, but figured I'd ask.

Originally posted by Rob Figueroa:
As I was ordering I noticed that they have a promotion\coupon code field on their ordering page. Is there any code available through this site or that anyone is aware of, maybe knock a few buck off the price (cover the shipping). Given the amount of discussion and publicity (and business) this thread\forum generates on their product it would be cool if Craycort threw us a bone....... :). Getting them regardless, but figured I'd ask.

Asked the same question yesterday...

Originally posted by Stefan B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Figueroa:

Asked the same question yesterday... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL - and you still haven't ordered. Not sure I will have that level of control...... :)

If i wasn't SO busy @ work i'm sure i would have...always have time to surf on TVWBB
icon_smile.gif

I use the Performer starter burner.
It seems like it would be a pain to remove the CI grate(s) to start the coals every time instead of just lifting off the light steel grate.

Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
It seems like it would be a pain to remove the CI grate(s) to start the coals every time instead of just lifting off the light steel grate.

I agree. I like the idea of cast iron but I'm not a fan of the craycort ones. To many parts. And if you're looking for good grill marks then it seems like there is very limited space where you can nice clean grill marks without hitting the cross supports cutting through the middle of everything.

I wish there was a better solution.

Originally posted by Stefan B:
If i wasn't SO busy @ work i'm sure i would have...always have time to surf on TVWBB
icon_smile.gif

Work - oh thats right - thats what I should have been doing while I was posting the above. Oh well, the boss will understand. Worst comes to worse I'll have him over for some beer and steaks prepared on the new CI grates :)

Originally posted by Michael L.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:

I agree. I like the idea of cast iron but I'm not a fan of the craycort ones. To many parts. And if you're looking for good grill marks then it seems like there is very limited space where you can nice clean grill marks without hitting the cross supports cutting through the middle of everything.

I wish there was a better solution. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. As mentioned through out this thread, it would be cool if Weber put one out, my preference being a PCI one (works great on the Q). It would probably still be at least two parts, like the one that Lodge put out a long time ago.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0039023/m/9901002606

anyway, can't wait on them, and the working the multiple parts of the craycort set can be incorporated into my workout regimen (which consist of doing unlimited curls with a beer bottle in hand).

Yeah I have a performer and the Craycort CI grates. Truthfully I would not order the Craycort CI grates if I had the chance to do it over. I am sure they are fine if you use them on regular grill, but they are really a pain in the rear to use on a performer. I hate having to disassemble this thing to light my coals. Using them on a performer you are really giving up a lot of the ease of use of the touch and go gas ignition. The Weber chimney just does not fit inside the area where one quarter section comes out. You have to take the whole thing apart, and since it isn't in one piece you have to remove the 4 sections, then remove the center ring, then build it all back when you get the coals going how you want. I wrote the company and explained this about 2 months after I got the grates. Their answer was to use a smaller chimney or to stop using the chimney altogether and use a looftlighter. I really didn't find the answers to very helpful. The Grates were too expensive and way too costly to ship for what they are. I actually have used my Q220 grate many times and that works out much better than the Craycort. The only problem is that the grate is a bit hard to handle for moving the charcoal around or adding more. It's just a bit too big, but very close. I still think it is easier to handle than the Craycort. I was in a hardware store recently and was looking at the grates of a Q320. It is a nice sized grate, and comes in 2 sections. I tested one section in the store on a 22 1/2" Weber kettle and it looked like it fit very nicely. Obviously it doesn't cover the full area of the 22 1/2, but there looked to be plenty of cast iron area to grill on. Easy to remove and install too. Does anyone know if Weber will sell just that? If so, that would be my recommendation for a performer. Use 1 side of the grate from the Q320, put it all the way on one side of the performer, leave the other side open to add coals or whatever. Either that or the Q220 would be a better idea than the Craycort. Just my opinions and observations from personal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back