cast iron grates

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem, they should have some in stock. It's something they carry on a regular basis. Usually they are on display in one of their display Weber grills. Check em out next time you're there, chances are you'll buy one. Make sure you buy a grill lifter as well (around $8). Makes things a million times easier to put the grate in and take them out.

Originally posted by DaleW:
The original and followup question had to do with a CI grate on the 22.5. Let me just add for any 26.75 owners (or potential owners), the CI grate on that size does not need to be completely removed for charcoal lighting or adding. The quadrant is big enough for the chimney to fit down inside the grill and to pour coals. I just move quadrants around to accommodate when I am lighting/pouring. Not a big deal, and I just love the heat retention and grill marks.

I have a 26 as well, and like Dale says, a chimney does fit into an open quadrant - but just barely. I was finding it a little awkward, and I'm a cook who likes his space. I thought I might be able to give myself a little more room by removing that annoying support bar and cutting the handle down a little, and here's the result:

Picture1%252520030.jpg

Compared to the way it comes stock:

Picture1%252520031.jpg

So I have a little room to play now, which was also important for me because I'm planning on adding the touch-n-go components to my rig and wanted to make sure I could position my chimney over where I was going to have to run the burner into the bowl.

For those of you with a 22, I wonder if modding the handle on your chimney might give you just enough room to drop it into a quadrant, vs. having to remove the whole works?

Hey Mike

The only negative is the tab placement. Kettles have 4 tabs on the bowl to place the grate but this CI grate only has 3 tabs (you can see them in the pics above). Only 2 of the tabs match up with the Weber tabs. That being said it still sits ok on the grill but it takes a few goes in the beginning to figure out what position is best to ensure it doesn't tilt down towards the coals.

Just a thought here regarding the above:

Imagine a standard Weber plated cooking grate, with everything removed except the main outer hoop that normally sits on the four tabs in the kettle. If that hoop were in place in the kettle, could the three tabs on Your C/I grate then securely rest on top of the hoop, without fear of the grate taking an unwanted tip in to the kettle?

Originally posted by Corey S:
Hey Mike

Imagine a standard Weber plated cooking grate, with everything removed except the main outer hoop that normally sits on the four tabs in the kettle. If that hoop were in place in the kettle, could the three tabs on Your C/I grate then securely rest on top of the hoop, without fear of the grate taking an unwanted tip in to the kettle?

Yes, if the CI grate sat on top of the ring only I would imagine it would be just fine without any fear of it tipping slightly.

Here are pics of the grates that go with the Home Depot Stok Grill. They fit very well but they are not great quality. They say that they are porcelain coated but they are not and they aren't seasoned and they are pretty rough.
Stok2.jpg
Stok1.jpg

Recently joined the CI Club (got the Craycort for my Performer)... been a long-time lurker and finally registered! Everyone on this board is helpful and I still have lots to learn!

Anyways, love Love LOVE the CI grates... first cook on it was chicken thighs + corn in husks and was able to cook the thighs on the "cold" side before searing them on the "hot" side to crisp up the skin at the end - OMG!

When I ordered my Craycort the grate lifter was out of stock so I didn't order one. What I ended up doing is take an old square-head grill brush that I no longer had use for, take off the brush head, and turned it into a zero-effort scraper/grate lifter
icon_smile.gif

The grate lifter

Grate lifter in action

My grate "rest"

Happy grilling!

I have to say I got the Stok grill last Friday and loved it. Yes, it's not your typical "porcelain" coated grill (I'm not sure it's coated at all, very rough finish) but I oiled it as I would any CI to season and it appears to be working fine. I was very surprised, as the finish is very rough and I expected my shrimp to stick like crazy. Didn't happen. So, overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Update on the grates. After seasoning and using a few times these seem to work surprisingly well for the cost. They shine up pretty good and leave a mean sear mark. I use the tongs to take an old wash rag dipped in oil and wipe them down good before and after each cook. I let them heat up for about ten minutes with the lid on and then throw on the rib eyes. Worth the money imho

ha ha ha ! that explains it !

Originally posted by Kendall Cook:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
kendall, what did the dog do ??

He looks guilty because he is, just ate a jalapeno burger that didn't belong to him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by JohnnyS:
Recently joined the CI Club (got the Craycort for my Performer)... been a long-time lurker and finally registered! Everyone on this board is helpful and I still have lots to learn!

Anyways, love Love LOVE the CI grates... first cook on it was chicken thighs + corn in husks and was able to cook the thighs on the "cold" side before searing them on the "hot" side to crisp up the skin at the end - OMG!

When I ordered my Craycort the grate lifter was out of stock so I didn't order one. What I ended up doing is take an old square-head grill brush that I no longer had use for, take off the brush head, and turned it into a zero-effort scraper/grate lifter
icon_smile.gif

The grate lifter

Grate lifter in action

My grate "rest"

Happy grilling!

I used an old grill brush body in the same way, as well as to move the coals around. That is until the chrome bolts melted off..... lol. Still have it - meaning to put some small steel bolts in it to keep it together. The length and shape is just right for this use, so easier to have a cheap fix than go in search of another. :)

In an effort to bring this post back to life.....would anyone care to give an update on their CI grates? I am leaning towards the craycorts for my performer and wanted to know if it's really that much of a pain to use with the charcoal starter and gas assist.

I have a Craycort for my Smokey Joe and 27 but went with the STOK for my Performer. I love my craycorts but prefer the STOK on the performer because I don't like removing the ring for 27 and having to do so every cook I used the chimney would annoy me. Neither the Joe nor the 27 inch craycorts require removing the rings to use the chimney. My STOK is definitely coated and the craycorts definitely are not and require attention to prevent rusting but I don't mind keeping them oiled so it's not a big deal to me. I also like that the entire grate runs the same direction on the STOK. The only downside to the STOK so far is the the cast iron insert trying to pop up when I'm scraping it which is something the Craycorts do not do.

Plus, 40 bucks.

Originally posted by Dom R:
In an effort to bring this post back to life.....would anyone care to give an update on their CI grates? I am leaning towards the craycorts for my performer and wanted to know if it's really that much of a pain to use with the charcoal starter and gas assist.

First of all let me say hello to you Weber folks. I'm new to this forum and I am liking what I am seeing. I got to say my Weber Performer is the most fun piece of equipment I own outside my Harley. Cast Iron grates are a must and add to the overall Weber experience. Running that Weber up to 600 degrees and throwing down a piece of quality beef and hearing it sizzle and crackle gives me goose bumps. I have the Craycort's and I'm going to remember those folks in my will. Just look at tonight's dinner.

640x383px-LL-f799c286_IMAG0144.jpeg

640x383px-LL-8685fbe2_IMAG0145.jpeg

Now where's my fork.

Forgot to say, I have the Weber Chimney and all I do is wedge it into a section over the gas assist and have no problem lighting off my coal. No it doesn't sit all the way down but it doesn't need to. You tell me how do my coals look?

Originally posted by EJ Breeze:
Forgot to say, I have the Weber Chimney and all I do is wedge it into a section over the gas assist and have no problem lighting off my coal. No it doesn't sit all the way down but it doesn't need to. You tell me how do my coals look?

Looks fantastic EZ. Any chance of seeing a pic or two of how you wedge the Weber charcoal starter thru the grate for the gas assist?

Almost looks like it fits right in the quarter.
Thanks for the pic.

These cast iron grates will be my last grilling / bbq purchase for a very long time.
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back