cast iron grates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to think of some other options for grates. I remembered these grates I had for my BGE. A quick look and I found these:

Weber Grill Grates

There's also an 18 inch round cast iron grate for the large BGE that I think would fit nicely as well. I'd even consider cutting that and making two half moons.

I'm not a huge fan of that setup because it make difficult to have a 2 stage fire. They're certainly not ideal, but I the 18.5 inche round BGE great is $60-ish depending on where you look and comes in CI or PCI.

The grates you posted are about the best choice I've seen so far. I wish Lodges would re-introduce the CI grates they used to make, but those you posted appear to be a nice alternative.

Can you cut cast iron? I think making 3 sections would be ideal.

Originally posted by AJ S.:
@ Chirs..
These Grates are $100. For that money, I would look at the Weber Gourmet setup.

Interestingly, I cam across these yesterday..

Cst Iron Grates for your Kettle
It says, Fits most 18.5" and 22.5" kettle style grills "

Originally posted by Chris Stanek:
I was trying to think of some other options for grates. I remembered these grates I had for my BGE. A quick look and I found these:

Weber Grill Grates

There's also an 18 inch round cast iron grate for the large BGE that I think would fit nicely as well. I'd even consider cutting that and making two half moons.

I was at Home Depot the other day and they had the kettle accessories on the shelf right next to the gas accessories. I took a replacement, cast iron, porcelain coated, grate for a gas grill and placed it on the cooking surface of the performer. It fit perfectly between the hinges of the standard steel grate.

It was only $68.00 (vs $99.00) and it's made by weber.

Thanks Mike, I might try to get their tonight to a look to see what's avialable.

Originally posted by Michael L.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Stanek:

Weber Grill Grates

I was at Home Depot the other day and they had the kettle accessories on the shelf right next to the gas accessories. I took a replacement, cast iron, porcelain coated, grate for a gas grill and placed it on the cooking surface of the performer. It fit perfectly between the hinges of the standard steel grate.

It was only $68.00 (vs $99.00) and it's made by weber. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just got back from a business trip to find that my new Craycort grates had been delivered. Ordered them about a week and half ago, and they were delivered within 5 days (to NY). I ordered the grate with an additional grill\griddle and tool. I didn't waste anytime unpacking them and getting the grill going. First impressions are that they are very solid and well constructed. I was a little concerned about shipping damage (per another user's experience) because the ring and grates come in a thin cardboard box with no padding (the cardboard was a little mangled), but did not find anything wrong. What was funny was that the griddle plate and tool came in a separate box within another box surrounded by paper. Since the griddle plate is significantly heavier than the individual grates (think of the weight of a cast iron skillet) this seemed like overkill - would have preferred to see this type of packing for the ring portion. But no foul and now I have lots of brown paper for starting the chimney. ;-)

While the chimney was going, I washed down the grates and ring with soap and water, dried them off and covered with vegetable oil via spray can, then I started prepping the food. Since I had spent all week eating lots of red meat while I was away, I figured the first burn on the new grates would be chicken. Got some chicken parts (legs, thighs and wings) and gave them a good seasoning\massaging with goya Adobo (for the Puerto Rican in me), lots of garlic powder, oregano, paprika and a light dusting of cayenne. All of this followed by an olive oil bath to keep things moist.

Once the coals were ready I popped down the grate and let it get hot. Nice fit, but it had a little bit of a wobble so I may need to adjust one of the little arms that keep the grate above the coals (never noticed that with the chrome grate). I had used about 1/2 a chimney of used coals from the last cookout and the rest new coal. I like setting my hot\direct zone in the back of the grill, and use the front for indirect cooking. After about 10 minutes things seemed like they were ready to go, so I started cooking. I started by browning the chicken on the hot side first, then moving to the indirect side. The first thing that came to mind as I started "hearing" that searing sound was NICE.......!!!! And was not disappointed. One thing to note about using cast iron over charcoals is that you will need to rethink your method and timing of cooking, especially over the coals. The temp in the grill was a little under 400, which is my usual for this type of meal. On the chrome grills that came with the performer that meant that I could put the chicken down over direct heat for a 5-10 minutes to brown, flip, a few minutes more then move to indirect, with ok grill mark\sear. With the cast iron this timing was dramatically shortened. As I went back to make that first flip I found that I had some serious grill marks and browning in a very short time, even some blackening (DRUMSTICK DOWN!!! -that one didn't make it). Move the parts over to the indirect side and found that this was hot enough to sizzle as well, so at this point i needed to adjust the vents to bring down the heat a little. Let 'em cook for about 45 minutes, basting every now and then with some seasoned olive oil. When they were done they were nice and moist on the inside, crispy on the outside with nice grill marks (my trade off to not frying chicken). Again, NICE.......!!!!

All in all, I am happy with this purchase so far. They will get more of a workout this weekend (country style ribs, burgers, veggies, more chicken), so we'll see how they fare, but I doubt I will be disappointed. Being a long time user of cast iron cooking utensils (skillets, grills, griddles, dutch ovens, grill grates, etc) this will be a nice addition to the sets. A couple of more things to note

a) As described in the product description, these grates are pre-seasoned, which is not the same as PCI, so they will definitely need to be maintained to avoid rust. As mentioned above, I have lots of other cast iron pieces so this will not be a problem. After the first cook I cleaned them off with a wire brush, slapped some more veg oil on them with a paper towel and left them on the grill over a low heat to season some more(until the remaining coals burned away). Also, the lifting tool was not seasoned at all so that got covered in oil and left on the grill to season as well (will probably do this after each cook until its nicely seasoned). Its important to keep the seasoning up, as this will help with the cooking (makes the surface almost non stick) and help keep the rust away.
b) While folks have complained that having so many pieces are a pain, especially for lighting the grill with a chimney, now that I have the pieces in front of me I don't think this will be that big a deal. If anything it will make for easier cleaning of the individual grates as now its easier to get them in the sink every now and then as opposed to the full 22" grate. Remember, no scrubbing, just a little soap and water, and make sure to dry thoroughly either on the stove or grill so that they don't rust. Also, having the ability to rotate the pieces to different parts of the grill will allow for more even seasoning, as the pieces that sit directly over the fire will have the seasoning burned away if they are always over the coals.
c) one thing I will keep an eye on is how well the grate maintains its shape. as I was cleaning up I noticed a little give in one of the grates as I used the tool to move it. This one was right over the hottest part of the fire, so it was kind of movement you get when metal gets hot. Was a little surprised, so I'll keep an eye on this. I've never encountered this with the Weber PCI grates or other cast iron stuff that I have used, so again, was surprised. I'll see how that goes and provide any updates - maybe it was my beer goggles and not the actual grate :)

All of that being said, Happy Grilling - sorry for being so long winded....... :)

Interestingly, I cam across these yesterday..
Cst Iron Grates for your Kettle
It says, Fits most 18.5" and 22.5" kettle style grills "

I ordered one of these today, but got a message (after I went thru the purchase process of course) that they are backordered with no ship date.
icon_frown.gif

Item #: Cast Iron Kettle Grill Grate (7315453)
Cast Iron Kettle Grill Grate
Cart Subtotal: $29.99
Shipping & Handling : $10.95
Tax: $0.00
Total: $40.94
1_1_7315453_small.jpg

Here are some updated pics of my CI grate:

Middle section out to add coals, insert wok, etc.

Middle section fits pretty good on top of Smokey Joe grate:

Originally posted by Kendall Cook:
Saw this at home depot
http://www.stokgrills.com/grills/tower.php
perfect fit for the 22.5 but they are so new that when I called the company they said the grates wouldn't be available to order as replacements until September, they will run 50 something plus shipping

I was just at my local Home Depot a couple of hours ago, and they already had their thursday/memorial day weekend prices posted. I took a look at this Stok grill, unfortunately it was mounted on a high shelf for display, so I could not inspect their cooking grate, but this grill is on sale NOW at HD for $99.?? something and change, marked down from $129.?? and change! So if anyone is interested in their Cast Iron Grate, but does not want to wait for a September availability @ $50.00 something plus shipping ?, it might behove one to just purchase their grill now at HD for $99 and change, take the the CI grate, replace it with a Weber plated grate, and sell the thing to your neighbor, or on C/L for $70.00 or so, you have your new C/I grate (providing it fits) no waiting... even if you cannot sell the darn thing, it is still less money than what you would pay for a Craycort C/I grate... and you would have a funky looking back up charcoal grill to do extra stuff on when needed ?

Just a crazy thought !

P.S> Home Depot has Blue Bag K on sale for $7.97 for 2-20 lb bags, no limit.
I have 240 lbs in the trunk of my car Now purchased at that price!.. The sale actually starts tomorrow, and their advertised price is $9.97, but they dropped the price after the add went to print...
See this thread
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0026584/m/2051068416

I'm not too sure who makes it, it only had a price tag on it. There wasn't any other packaging or labels. However, when they ran out of stock and had to reorder they were looking in a Grill Pro catalog. I checked online and can't find any cast iron grate options from Grill Pro. So the quick answer would have been, I have no idea who makes it
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Dom R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Purnell:
It’s from Barbecues Galore in Canada and I think it retails for $29.95.

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/

Mike, did you go to the store or buy it online? Also, would you recommend this grate or go with something else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Dom. I picked up the grate last year in the Oakville store b/c the Burlington store was sold out at the time. I was in the Burlington a few weeks back and they had more in stock.

I would recommend the grate for a few reasons.

(1) $49.95 is a good price in my opinion for this HEAVY duty CI grate.

(2) I like to use the middle insert for my Smokey Joe.

The only negative is the tab placement. Kettles have 4 tabs on the bowl to place the grate but this CI grate only has 3 tabs (you can see them in the pics above). Only 2 of the tabs match up with the Weber tabs. That being said it still sits ok on the grill but it takes a few goes in the beginning to figure out what position is best to ensure it doesn't tilt down towards the coals.

This sounds worse than it is. The first few times I used it was frustrating but once I found the sweet spot there's been no problems.

I'm thinking of buying another one for my other grills but I'll hold off until I hear a review or 2 on that Char-Broil option. I like the idea of having the 18.5" & 22.5" grate option.

Thanks mike. I'm in Burlington all the time so I may have to check it out. Not really enjoying those stock grill grates that came with the OTG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back