cast iron grates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay ollie

Where can one find cast iron grates for a 22.5 weber kettle? I have seen them in pic,s , read and heard about peaple using them and how much they like them. Thought i would give it a try. Thanks
icon_wink.gif

Thanks guy's, I did not know that they were that much <span class="ev_code_GREEN">$$$</span>,looks like i might have to wait abit. Thanks again, Jay.

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I have considered asking the Wife for these for my B-day in about 6 weeks.

Are the C.I. grates heavy or cumbersome to move around? For instance, to move them 0ut of the way to use the Performer to ignite a chimney?

Do they clean up well?

Maintenance?

Other pro's, con's, concerns?

Thanks

I have had the cast iron grates for several months now. They do require some extra maintenance on your part. You need to remove them to put in charcoal, plus make sure you keep them covered after you are done. I have forgotten to close the lid after taking my food off, the dew has settled on them overnight and poof you need to clean them up and reseason again. I am using them on my old 1993 mastertouch. The extra weight is making me realize how loose my legs are while moving the grill around. I really like the grill marks that I get with the cast iron but I only use the cast iron for steak and pork chops. The rest of the time, I use my old grates that are easier to clean and take care of.

I've posted this solution before, but I got the Lodge Logic Cast Iron grill that you can set on top of your regular grate. This gives more flexibility in that you can remove the grate when you don't want to use CI and you can also get at the charcoal grate a lot easier. You can get one for $50 from the Lodge Logic Site.

Here are some photos of mine in use:
Hamburger Steaks

Lodge Logic CI Grate

Thanks Tom.
Hearing about the extra maintenance and the fact that you own the C.I. but mostly still use your regular grates says something and gives me something to consider.

Andy,

That is not a bad Idea. I have some other Lodge iron too and it is good stuff. I may just go that route at first and see how it goes.

Thanks

I also have the Lodge grate and reccomend it, unless more cooking space is needed. Works grate!
icon_smile.gif

Another interesting option is the mild steel custom grates as used by the BBQ Pit Boyz in their many Youtube videos. Since we are Dexter and Debra, I'm thinking about ordering one with "Double D BBQ" on it. Anyone have any info on these? They are about the same price. I like the big handles, but they require the same care as cast iron, but really cool

Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
I've posted this solution before, but I got the Lodge Logic Cast Iron grill that you can set on top of your regular grate. This gives more flexibility in that you can remove the grate when you don't want to use CI and you can also get at the charcoal grate a lot easier. You can get one for $50 from the Lodge Logic Site.

+1
I've owned my round 22" CI grate for over a year now but after just a few weeks of use realized that a simple CI grate placed on top would have been so much more practical.

The original and followup question had to do with a CI grate on the 22.5. Let me just add for any 26.75 owners (or potential owners), the CI grate on that size does not need to be completely removed for charcoal lighting or adding. The quadrant is big enough for the chimney to fit down inside the grill and to pour coals. I just move quadrants around to accommodate when I am lighting/pouring. Not a big deal, and I just love the heat retention and grill marks.

Questions for you guys with CI

I just got a CI grate and here in Texas its pretty humid, I do have a cover for the weber, but should I be worried about rust? maybe get some moisture absorber type thing I can throw on top of when not in use? (I heard a cloth bag like a sock-- full of rice works well)

thanks.

Originally posted by DaleW:
The original and followup question had to do with a CI grate on the 22.5. Let me just add for any 26.75 owners (or potential owners), the CI grate on that size does not need to be completely removed for charcoal lighting or adding. The quadrant is big enough for the chimney to fit down inside the grill and to pour coals. I just move quadrants around to accommodate when I am lighting/pouring. Not a big deal, and I just love the heat retention and grill marks.

Dale, There is a CI grate for the 26 ? Please advise !

I just ordered from the Claycort website. Their email/on-line status wasn't real good, but the grate arrived in about a week. And I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back