Carnitas Tacos

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Saw this recipe on one of Cam Stone's videos. Sounded good and thought I'd give it a try. Did the first part of the cook in one of my Lodge Camp Dutch Oven and then the second part I finished off on my Mojoe and a Weber 22. Made for a fun day.

Cut up a 7 lb. pork shoulder.

enhance

Got the camp oven set up. There's a layer of chopped onion under the meat.

enhance

Added some IPA and a tall Corona. Spices include garlic, salt, cinnamon and cumin.

enhance

Had some time after getting the meat going so I put together some of Tony R's refried beans. Just did these on the oven in the house.

enhance

Checked the pot after about an hour and wasn't getting the hard boil I was looking for so I remedied that.

enhance

Problem solved.

enhance

Left it rolling for about 3 hours. Checked it a couple of times. The aroma coming from the DO would have attracted neighbors......if I had any.

enhance

Refueled a couple of times.

enhance

enhance

Scooped out the meat I needed for our dinner and crisped it up on the Mojoe.

enhance

enhance

Warmed up some white corn tortillas.

enhance

Filled with the meat.

enhance

And plated things up. I'd put together the Pico de Gallo earlier in the day.

enhance

These were fantastic. What a wonderful array of flavors. We're going to have these again later in the week and I'll freeze the rest. Hope you're all having a nice weekend. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Good to be back. I took early retirement 1 Oct to take care of mama. She needs 24/7 care and I figured no one better for the job than me. Never stopped cooking, or makin bacon, or grinding sausage— just got too busy to post. Trying to check in from time to time and see how things are going. Your cook inspired brisket tacos for tonight. I have a nice chunk of flat that will become pull apart tender if I treat it right. Of course, Tony’s rice as a side.

As far as beer; I have a British Bitter and a Dortmunder Export on tap now with a Beantown Lager conditioning. I’ll brew a Czech 12° Premium Pale Lager tomorrow because I can’t have the fermenter just sitting empty. LOL

Back