Carbon steel is killing me

JimZ

TVWBB Super Fan
Matfer Bourgeat Black Carbon Steel Fry Pan, 11 7/8 Inches

Seasoned sooo many times and it doesn't hold up. I understand the seasoning process as I have several cast iron pans that I love and work great. This guy however just doesn't seem to hold the seasoning for some reason... Any suggestions???? I season per the instructions that came with the pan........ UGH don't want to go back to Teflon.

I treat my carbon steel just Like my cast iron, no problems.
I don’t know, maybe too much steel mesh? It shouldn‘t be a big hassle, I’m sorry to hear you are having problems, they should be pretty simple as far as maintenance is concerned.

Last edited:
I have a couple pieces of carbon steel cookware that I've yet to season and use, lol, so I'm not here to teach you how to do it. But I notice your pan was ATK recommended, so I went to their site. I haven't read this article but could their how to help you, possibly?

https://www.americastestkitchen.com...cles/2279-how-to-season-carbon-steel-cookware
Thanks, thats pretty much the way they tell you to season it from the manufacturer. The seasoning just doesn't seem to hold up as cast iron does.

I stumbled upon a favorite oil/fat for seasoning. I have not read about it anywhere but I like it.
Very light coat of Crisco...seasoned at 350 or so multiple times. Little high temp the more times you season it.

I bought a lightweight cast iron pan from Restaurant Depot impulsively a few years ago. I tried every possible way to season and clean it.
It was impossible to dial in for cooking. I tossed in the trash after about 2 months.

CS is the same as CI.

Wash it, then heat it to dry it, then oil it and heat the oil through to just as it smokes. Then add another oil layer and repeat.

After each use of cooking, a gentle rinse and steel mesh is good. You must heat it to dry it though after each use. And a small amount of rubbed in oil will keep and build the seasoning layer.

My wok is basically black now on its upper bowl. Years of seasoning have built up. No issues at all with CI.

Last edited:
Been using CI pans for well over 20 years and I was looking for something a little lighter due to arthritis in both wrists. Picked up a couple of CS pans a 10"and 12". they were defiantly lighter, but I had the same problem that Jimz has they wouldn't hold a seasoning. Finally gave them to my daughter. Found a 10" CI that had a handle on each side like my 12" CI.

The carbon steel does season, but not as well as cast in my opinion, doesn't help that my bride washes it with soap and a scrubee, but then so does every restaurant.... I just put the cleaned pan on the burner to dry and heat up, hit it with some oil or spray grease and heat to smoking point and wipe almost dry. It's pretty much non stick, depending on what you cook, but it cleans easy and the re oiling is quick...I actually prefer the carbon pans now over cast, and the weight difference is a lifesaver for a broken down arthritic old man, lol

I have one that is amazing, and I season it the exact same way I do my CI. Only paid about $13 for it at a restaurant supply store so have no idea what brand it is though...

I put it on a medium low burner and let it heat FOREVER...I mean 15-20 minutes...then slowly start heating it more and more until it is a good searing hot temp. I then add a good amount of oil, let it get smoking hot, and throw in potato peels and fry the crap out of them...keep stirring them around to distribute the hot oil. Repeat and keep frying peels until the pan is super dark. Then let it cool down a bit, wipe clean (while still nice and warm).

I've also found HOW you cook with the pans also critical though...the same with a stainless steel pan. To avoid sticking, preheat the pans a LONG time BEFORE adding any oil....then let the oil come to temp, then add food.

I have my gramma's old CI pan. She didn't like to leave anything unwashed. So when she was done with it. It got scrubbed to an inch of it's life with SOS soap pads. Oddly enough it's still the slickest nicest CI skillet I have. Shiny like a black Cadillac on Saturday night. She made lots of things in it. Her special fried chicken, veal cutlets even her famous pineapple upside down cake would come right out. In spite of the harsh treatment

Yeah, I scrub all mine with an abrasive pad when needed and also with a chainmail cloth too. I use soap quite often. Never had an issue.

That said, don't cook anything with lots of vinegar, or a tomato based sauce in them...I find that will softens/strips them.

The surface of a carbon steel is just so smooth. People will often sand down the bumps on Lodge pan and have similar problems. Also cast iron and carbon steel are non-stick if you hold your mouth just right, but not really. You have to heat the pan to the exact right level, use the exact right amount of oil, etc. I would season it just like you would cast iron. Very light coating of oil and heat to the smoke point. If you have an electric or inductive cook top you might opt to season it in the oven. Just make sure you are over the smoke point of the oil you are using. I'd wipe it down with a light coat of oil after you cook with it, while it's still hot. This will help it build up. I don't think the potatoes and salt really do much. Maybe the abrasion of the salt helps, idk.

I seasoned mine using the potato peeling- kosher salt-oil method on a gas stove ... when I clean mine I only use hot water and a paper towel, then hand dry with towel. Then I put a micro thin coating of canola oil on it while the pan is cold

certain foods will cause the seasoning to go away, I cooked taco meat in mine recently and I believe the seasoning packet I used slightly damaged the layer of seasoning...but I just redid it and all is good ....personally I found a gas stove seasoned it the best vs electric

oh and becareful heating up that 11-7/8 pan, it's been known to warp however I think there is a newer version where they fixed that issue...I have the 10-1/4 Matfer and its one of my favorites that never leaves the stovetop

Last edited:
The warping was mainly on electric and induction cooktops as I understand it. The new version supposedly addresses it. I have a Matfer but I don't recall which size. I think it was the 10 1/4 inch. It's in the rotation along with a few cast irons. I also have an all-clad stainless that works great for those acidic things.

Back