Can't decide. 22 vs 18

I have a 2009+ 18 1/2" WSM. The stock water pan is so big it blocks access to the charcoal ring.

I use a foiled, 12" clay flower pot base, from HD, in a Brinkmann charcoal pan. It gives full access to the charcoal and clean up is 1-2-3.

I've been using it for spares at 275F, and it works great. I haven't tried it with a large cut, low and slow yet.

Good luck.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Diaz:
Below is a picture of the 22 v 18. Go with the 22, you will regret not getting it if you go with the 18. The saucer is used for temperature control. Similar to water, but water has a limitation as the boiling point 212, that is why so many use water for doing low and slow at 225. I like to cook at 275, getting the smoker to 275 with water will prove difficult and you will burn a lot of fuel. The water actually holds it back where as the clay saucer gives you control without limitation, imo.

2011-03-19170217.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What store is this??? I need it! Boxes filled with wood chunks, yes please.

I started with an 18inch....then sort of needed more space and got the 22. On regret...should of kept the 18 as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

2011-03-19170217.jpg

What store is this??? I need it! Boxes filled with wood chunks, yes please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No kidding! I'd love to find a convenient source for oak chunks. I have access to most of the other woods.

It's a local bbq equipment store. They keep me pretty well stocked up with wood. Its called BBQ Grill Station in Orlando, FL. The sell all types of wood, accesories, green eggs, webers, pellet grills, primo's and a bunch of higher end gas grills ranging from $400 to $4000. They also do custom outdoor kitchens.

I own the large one and it holds 225* solid for hours. The main reason for the big one: full packer brisket. I wanted to do full whole packers overnight without babysitting, adding fuel, or cutting it, humping it up on something, or other way to make it fit.

IMG_0472.jpg

Well I went with the 22.5"!! Just got it in today and put it together tonight. I love it already. It's a monster too! Huge! I did however have one small problem, the lid doesn't fit perfect. I can get it on without too much effort but it's not an exact fit. Just a little off I think. Anyone else ever had this problem? If so will it get smoother each time I put it on and take it off?
One more question... To season or not to season??? You tell me
Thanks again for guiding me through my decision!

You can try to tweak the midsection a bit and straighten it out if you want...or contact Weber and they might just send you a replacement.

Many can be corrected well enough to cook just fine. Roll it around on something flat and soft, such as a carpeted floor. That should give you an idea on how to tweak it. I have both an 18 and a 22. Love them both. Not sure if either of them is perfectly round on top or bottom. My 18 I is older and been abused a bit, I have to smack the lid a bit to get it on and off. It holds temps so I don't worry about it.

I am smoking some ribs right this second and once the midsection heated up the lid seemed to fit much better. I am having to do the high heat rendezvous recipe this time because the ole lady didn't want to wait 4-5 hours to eat tonight! But I had to get something cooking in this thing!! Too pretty to just sit there! I'll let you know how it goes.

I recommend seasoning it per Harry Soo...never mind how are the ribs? After the good stuff builds up it will get very easy to manage temps. Takes a few cooks until you get there.

I don't even look at the lid thermo. I just use the mav. ...though just so happens the lid thermo is always in the "smoke" range. To me 225* is a goal plus minus a few degrees is OK as far as I am concerned because I go by meat internal temp anyway.

I recommend adding some genie garage door (or other) handles for use during the "hot squat" when/if required.

I also recommend adding some grommets or cut some slits for the probe wires.

IMG_0462.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Womack:
By the way, my lid thermo is off 50 degrees according to the maverick. They shouldn't even put those in there! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't judge the Weber gauge's accuracy by another therm. The therm's precise location is everything, and my guess is that your probe tip was either hanging in the vent or close to the outside of the grate. Either way, that would be measuring the hottest temps in the cooker and not the actual average grate temp, which in my experience is actually not too far off from what the gauge reads, at least after the meat loses it's chill.

No tools needed for checking the gauge's accuracy, though. Just use the wingnut to remove and check in boiling water. If it's not within 10* I'd call Weber and they'll send you another one. I find the gauge quite adequate and convenient for rib and chicken cooks, or really anything I'm cooking during the day.

The best accessory for the WSM; a food saver. If you have a food saver, there's no excuse for not getting the 22". If you don't have the food saver, get the 22" and then there's no excuse for not getting the food saver. Happy smoking!

The rendezvous ribs turned out really good! I prefer a long smoke but for the time allowed they do the trick. I have since cooked a couple of butts in it and man let me tell you I am impressed! The meat was excellent but what I love the most is the easy temp control! Combine that with the maverick and it is the ultimate bbq tool. As for the lid thermo it is still of 35-40 but who cares! I rarely look at it. And my probe for the maverick is always right beside the meat, never on the edge. Anyway, to say the least. I am extremely proud of my WSM!! Thanks for the input!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diane Kent:
Also, the 22" holds the heat for 15 hours on one full ring topped with 1/2 a fired chimney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find this a bit confusing in terms of (i) the # of lit in the chimney and (ii) the cooking hold time. 1/2 of a chimney has to be 50 to 60 briquettes. Others have said they start with 20 to 30 lit. Seems like a big difference.

I've also done about 10 butts in TOTAL on my 22. I have never gone as long as 15 hours on any one cook, but when I have pulled the butts at 9 to 10 hours, the fuel is looking low and my temps have always been falling to the 200 range, with all vents open. Point is, I'm not sure I could get 15 hours out of mine. YMMV.

I have never got 15 hours out of one ring. I have the 18 and I also live in Michigan! Colder here, use a little more coal... No big deal because I rotate the meat half way thru a long cook any way, I disassemble the WSM and shake the ash and add more coal accordingly. No big deal to add some coal or water. I kinda enjoy this part of the cook because I can check out the butts to see bark formation and check temps out....

Back