Can't decide. 22 vs 18

Jeff Womack

Ok, I'm in the market for a WSM but I can't decide which one to get. The only thing holding me back on getting the big one is the test cooks that were done on this website. Especially the pork butt test cooks. The 22" cooker didn't seem to hold it's heat well at all falling down to 200 and below. My question to all of you who have the 22" is: Is this a problem? Or was this issue resolved?

How many people do you usually cook for? How many people do occasionally cook for? I have a 18 and have no problem doing pulled pork for my office of ~18 people can also do ribs 4-6 people for dinner parties.

I occasionally cook for 20+ people, but my question is really about the heat and length of cook for the 22". Has anyone had any problems holding 225-250 with the big cooker? Do you usually have to refuel for a butt cook?

Jeff,
I am a new member and owner of the 22" WSM and if you have the space I suggest you go for the larger of the two.
First, when you 'see' them side by side it's a no-brainer, the 18" looks like a toddler next to the buff 22".
As for temp hold, it's no problem once you have either seasoned and operational...they are the same cooker, one is just larger.
So why go with the 22"? Because you never know when you're going to want the extra cooking space. I find 4 butts (precook weight 40lbs) fit nicely with lots of airflow between them...
Also, the 22" holds the heat for 15 hours on one full ring topped with 1/2 a fired chimney.
Hope I helped,
Di

I've read on www.amazingribs.com that he had trouble getting the 22 BELOW 275. The main knock on the 22 is it takes much more fuel than the 18. Those are the 2 reasons I went with the 18. However, since I bought it I read on this site somewhere to order a separate charcoal ring for the 18 and use it in place of the 22's ring when doing smaller cooks. Makes me kinda regret not getting the 22 now. I am very happy though with the 18. Lots of ideas on this site on how to increase cooking space on the 18.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diane Kent:
Jeff,
I am a new member and owner of the 22" WSM and if you have the space I suggest you go for the larger of the two.
First, when you 'see' them side by side it's a no-brainer, the 18" looks like a toddler next to the buff 22".
As for temp hold, it's no problem once you have either seasoned and operational...they are the same cooker, one is just larger.
So why go with the 22"? Because you never know when you're going to want the extra cooking space. I find 4 butts (precook weight 40lbs) fit nicely with lots of airflow between them...
Also, the 22" holds the heat for 15 hours on one full ring topped with 1/2 a fired chimney.
Hope I helped,
Di </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1, you won't regret it.

Yep what they said. If you most times cook for 6 people or less than the 18 is plenty big. If you sometimes cook for more than that, then the 22 might be the better choice. I have had the 18 for over 10 years and love it. I have done 6 pork butts on it at once. I skewer them in a tripod. If you want to do over 4 racks of ribs you can use a rib rack. Most on here like the idea "bigger is better"...I have extra kettles for the rare occasion I cant handle it all with one cooker!

Welcome Jeff. I don't really do a lot of cooking let alone big cooks but I have been known to load the thing up on a few occasions. At first I started thinking I should have gone with the 18 becaue the 22 is a big cooker and that means it will use more fuel if you fill the ring full. I use a smaller basket that sits inside the larger ring for smaller cooks so I don't over load my fuel. If I fill the ring full because I'm cooking more than a few racks of ribs or a butt I can go for 12hrs no problem at 250-260 even with the smaller basket I can go 6-8hrs and get 4hrs easily at 300 if I'm doing chicken. It does take a few cooks to get your cooker to stabalize better meaning they will run hot when new but if you catch temps on the way up they are easy to control. I'm very glad I have the 22 now and would probably be kicking myself if I had bought the 18 instead.

I've done 8 racks on an 18". Just have to be a bit inventive on how to set them up--racked, rolls, etc. This was for 14 people. Obviously ribs were accompanied by all the usual sides so it wasn't a "pig out" so to speak
icon_wink.gif

There is also a temp mod you can do that adds a third cooking layer (4 empty tall boys and another round grill).

Never a problem with temps.

Thanks everyone! All these replies are excellent!! Please keep them coming. Another question that I have is about these clay saucers that I keep hearing about. What are their benefits? Why would you use them instead of water and where can you get them? I'm leaning towards the 22.5" by the way!
Thanks again.

Jeff,
I have spent a lot of time reading the excellent advice/experience on this site and I'm sure you're currently doing the same. Some things you will learn by just cooking, monitoring your temps, water vs. dry, charcoal choices, etc. What I can tell you is that the cooker will run hot on the first couple of cooks (until it builds up smoke on the interior), the water helps keep the temp from spiking for us newbies, and after you run it a couple of times you may decide to for-go the water because it is an awful mess to clean up and dispose of.
I cannot say for fact but I believe the 'saucer's absorb heat (like water) and keep the 'oven' at a more even temp throughout....I happen to have two fire bricks and now use them (foiled) in a dry foiled water pan. No more H20 to deal with and the pan is easier to wipe clean.
Di

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, since I bought it I read on this site somewhere to order a separate charcoal ring for the 18 and use it in place of the 22's ring when doing smaller cooks. Makes me kinda regret not getting the 22 now. I am very happy though with the 18. Lots of ideas on this site on how to increase cooking space on the 18. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Danny B., I guess I missed that thread but that's an excellent idea for limiting fuel usage. I'm using my kettle to cook 2 chicken halves as I type, mainly because I didn't want to fire up the 22 for just that. That'll get me using my 22 more.

Jeff, I had an 18 and gifted it away shortly after getting a 22.

I usually cook in the 275 to 350 range (with just a foiled pan) depending on what it is. No problems with temps on the 22.

Smaller cooks are done on a mini WSM.

You need to see them in person to make a decision. The 22 is huge. I've got an 18 and did a 17lb brisket today. It's amazing how efficient it is with fuel.

Below is a picture of the 22 v 18. Go with the 22, you will regret not getting it if you go with the 18. The saucer is used for temperature control. Similar to water, but water has a limitation as the boiling point 212, that is why so many use water for doing low and slow at 225. I like to cook at 275, getting the smoker to 275 with water will prove difficult and you will burn a lot of fuel. The water actually holds it back where as the clay saucer gives you control without limitation, imo.

2011-03-19170217.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Womack:
Ok, I'm in the market for a WSM but I can't decide which one to get. The only thing holding me back on getting the big one is the test cooks that were done on this website. Especially the pork butt test cooks. The 22" cooker didn't seem to hold it's heat well at all falling down to 200 and below. My question to all of you who have the 22" is: Is this a problem? Or was this issue resolved? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have and use both, often.

If I could only have one, it would be the 22, hands down, no questions asked. I have no prblem getting long unattended cooks, or on the rare occasion I want them, a high heat cook.

22 uses more fuel.

Thanks everyone! This site is great. So do you foil the clay saucers in the water pan? Are these specific to the cooker or whatever I can come up with? Like flower pots? Thanks again

Back