Canadian Bacon

Ted M (FatEddy)

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up a whole pork loin on sale. Lopped off two pieces about 2.5 lbs. each for Canadian Bacon. Remaining 4+ lbs. went into the freezer for a future meal.

Cured them for a week. Morton's Tender Quick + Brown Sugar. One got spiked with some Makers Mark Bourbon, the other got Maple Syrup. I used the general formula here.

After the weeklong cure, tied them up and dried a day in the fridge.
09948BEE-8A86-4926-A974-FEB50D0ABCDB-17867-00001FE6570BD7E3.jpg

Onto the WSM. Water in the pan and two Weber charcoal baskets of K-blue with the Apple for smoke wood.
224AFA13-C749-4F0E-8E6B-4CC39036B8D9-17867-00001FE6648F9A48.jpg

Took exactly 3 hours to get to 140 internal and pulled them. Sealed them up and iced them down. At the 2 hour mark added more Apple wood (Mistake)
5F1E79C9-77C6-41E6-B43E-993623F77ADD-17867-00001FE66DF851BB.jpg

The Bourbon laced....
75E4DB0E-C291-4D61-B2AA-2B6BEE69B30E-17867-00001FE678362E0C.jpg

Maple laced....
17607571-B936-43D8-8B67-FA325D423D0C-17867-00001FE68498DC37.jpg

The second addition of Smoke wood brought them over the top smoky in my opinion, maybe it will mellow with some aging. Salt level was a little high. I only soaked them after the cure for about 5 minutes. Should have tasted it at this point for saltiness. All in all I would say it was success.

Only the slightest maple flavor on one and I really could not detect any bourbon flavor on the other. The smoke was overpowering.

If yours reacts like my bacon, they will mellow. If you give them some time, the bitter and overpowering smoke- tastes will dissapear, and you will be left with bacon that tastes smoked food.

I have the same experience as you, I seem to get almost no taste of spices, liquids and so on that I add during curing. If you are lucky, you can taste a small hint, but that's all. Adding sugar makes the bacon browner when curing, but I can taste no difference between normal sugar and maple sirup.

These pieces looks second to none! Fantastic.

Last edited:
If yours reacts like my bacon, they will mellow. If you give them some time, the bitter and overpowering smoke- tastes will dissapear, and you will be left with bacon that tastes smoked food.

I have the same experience as you, I seem to get almost no taste of spices, liquids and so on that I add during curing. If you are lucky, you can taste a small hint, but that's all. Adding sugar makes the bacon browner when curing, but I can taste no difference between normal sugar and maple sirup.

These pieces looks second to none! Fantastic.

Geir, Thanks and I'm glad to hear the smoke will mellow. That makes me feel a little better.

Ted, please PLEASE send some of that bacon this way, i'll eet it everyday and promise to include you in my prayers:)
Looks FANTASTIC!

Your CB looks really good, Ted! I have some curing in the fridge that will get smoked this weekend.

Very nice looking Canadian Bacon. I have a whole loin ready to be cured too!! I love that homemade CB!

Ted, it looks good. This is in my list of "to do's" also. I'm getting ready to do some bacon in a week or two. I have some pork belt in order.

Maybe a little to harsh on yourself from looking at the pictures and reading all the hard work you put into the smoke.

Looks great to me, Ted. Try brining to cure next time, rather than rubbing, and see if you get more flavors in the pork. I did a fair amount of herbs in my last batch of CB and the flavors really came through.

Back