Camp Chef Woodwind pro

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
The more I read and watch about this it looks like a real contender.
I saw one at Bass Pro, I don’t love the botttom grates because they were not stainless but the grill was built like a tank and that smoker box sure looks like a great idea.
Anyone have one?
IMG_6613.jpeg

Bruno, I am pleasantly surprised that you say this one is built like a tank. I haven't seen one in person and feared that it might not be. We have seen some very good results with Camp Chef, but I guess was worried they may have gone the cheape route on this new one while introducing the slide in box. I have said several times already, but this is one grill that seems to be able to deliver results similar to the SmokeFire. It just gets there by a different route. I can't vouch for that having not cooked on either. I am just basing my impressions on pictures you and some others have posted from your SmokeFires and tests by Jeremy Yoder of the Camp Chef which he gave stellar reviews to its cooking results.

It would be very interesting if you went for one of these (sorry, not trying to be an enabler!), since you have a SmokeFire and lots of cooking experience with it to compare this to. I have to believe this Camp Chef would give you a lot less finicky trouble. Also, with a simpler drip tray and design, it should be much less susceptible to failed interior components.

Last edited:
I wish. Since I don’t play the lottery, it is not likely. But that would be a joy to own and cook on.

It's only money, 18 months zero interest is an option, probably around $200 per month payment.

It's only money, 18 months zero interest is an option, probably around $200 per month payment.
That would be a frying pan over the head every month for me!!!

I do not at all think that Lone Stars are priced unfairly. If I was a one grill person, it might even be a possibility. I am just too curious about so many different grills that I have to content myself with restoring various well-used ones. That model works great for gas and kettles, but for pellet grills, I don't think it is a good one, however.

I am thankful for the Recteq RT-700 I got on the cheap (my wife VERY reluctantly went along with that one!). I did see one of the first Camp Chef Woodwind Pros for resale that has come up by me. Asking $850 for the big version with a side sear station. Looks like it has been used a fair amount but well taken care of. Tempting, but no room right now and that would be still another household argument...

Last edited:
To each their own, however, if you have any other interests in life, seems you hit a point of diminishing returns with a grill or any other material item. I like grilled food as much as anyone but I don't live for it. $2400+ shipping for a "starter" or entry level from any brand is of zero interest to me. But...if grilling is the single past time that gives you the greatest pleasure in life...get after it. I'm sure there are folks that think $2200 for a custom surfboard is silly...or thousands for a guitar or hifi speakers.
At this point, I'm happy with the Weber gasser and the Oakford pellet grill which set me back $370.

Last edited:
When we move home I’ll be a few years from retirement and I plan to purchase something great to start new. That Lone Star is on the radar but shipping sucks and they had a lot of stipulations in their receiving policy.

Last edited:
To each their own, however, if you have any other interests in life, seems you hit a point of diminishing returns with a grill or any other material item. I like grilled food as much as anyone but I don't live for it. $2400+ shipping for a "starter" or entry level from any brand is of zero interest to me. But...if grilling is the single past time that gives you the greatest pleasure in life...get after it. I'm sure they're are folks that think $2200 for a custom surfboard is silly...or thousands for a guitar or hifi speakers.
At this point, I'm happy with the Weber gasser and the Oakford pellet grill which set me back $370.
I hear what you are saying, we all have our vices. I am an audiophile with (2) stereo systems that at retail pricing there as much as new car kind of money & I am not talking Kia. As an audiophile you get to the point of diminishing returns as you try to improve sound quality you wind up paying thousands for a ridiculously small improvement, at some point you just call it good & be thankful for what you have.

I hear what you are saying, we all have our vices. I am an audiophile with (2) stereo systems that at retail pricing there as much as new car kind of money & I am not talking Kia. As an audiophile you get to the point of diminishing returns as you try to improve sound quality you wind up paying thousands for a ridiculously small improvement, at some point you just call it good & be thankful for what you have.
Precisely...if you have any wisdom!

Old Age and diminishing returns keep me from spending a lot for one of these new super pellet cookers, not that I wouldn't like to have one.
Don't grill nearly as often as I would like, but the old bones when it's cold tell me we have better things to do.
Bruno, all I can say is my four year old base model Camp Chef 24 MZG has been remarkable, so much so that I'm upgrading the controller to a PID (lot cheaper than buying a new grill). After hundreds of cooks with zero failures it deserves it.
Don't think you can go wrong with a Camp Chef.

Old Age and diminishing returns keep me from spending a lot for one of these new super pellet cookers, not that I wouldn't like to have one.
Don't grill nearly as often as I would like, but the old bones when it's cold tell me we have better things to do.
Bruno, all I can say is my four year old base model Camp Chef 24 MZG has been remarkable, so much so that I'm upgrading the controller to a PID (lot cheaper than buying a new grill). After hundreds of cooks with zero failures it deserves it.
Don't think you can go wrong with a Camp Chef.
Yep I know you’ve had nothing but good luck with it, that’s a reason it’s on the radar and possibly in the lead.
Good news I don’t have to make a decision until we have plenty of Searwood owners out in the wild.

I don't have experience with Camp Chef pellet smokers but we do have some products, including an outdoor propane water heater that we purchased in 2011 to clean the horses in the barn and a Somerset IV propane stove that I think we purchased in 2017. Both are running strong today. I don't recall why, but I did contact them for a burner replacement under warranty several years ago and it was an easy experience.

It's kinda funny about the water heater: it looks somewhat flimsy but it has been a work horse over the years and has held up very well. The wife was astonished that such an item existed and has been extremely grateful for it (though we had to put our last horse down last year).

To each their own, however, if you have any other interests in life, seems you hit a point of diminishing returns with a grill or any other material item. I like grilled food as much as anyone but I don't live for it. $2400+ shipping for a "starter" or entry level from any brand is of zero interest to me. But...if grilling is the single past time that gives you the greatest pleasure in life...get after it. I'm sure there are folks that think $2200 for a custom surfboard is silly...or thousands for a guitar or hifi speakers.
If I could still surf well, I would pay anything for a nice board. I tried 20,000 but they said no.*
I tried about the same for a guitar. Same.
And I don't even know how to play.

*lucky cause I would have been GF suicided

If I could still surf well, I would pay anything for a nice board. I tried 20,000 but they said no.*
I tried about the same for a guitar. Same.
And I don't even know how to play.

*lucky cause I would have been GF suicided
The surfing started decades ago...and thankfully, I'm still at it...no more winter surfing with full wetsuits, boots, gloves...and it's strictly longboards now. But I still get out... actually a group of us that do. It's hard to give up.

PELLET GRILLS!

Trying to organize what we have been seeing here with regard to new and recent pellet grills:

+$1,000
Camp Chef Woodwind Pro - Hard to complain about the good reviews of the cooking results with the added slide in box. Mostly positive remarks about decent quality - not Lone Star quality - in this price range.

New Pit Boss Titan - I am still trying to see one of these. My Academy doesn't have it yet. Sure love those stainless, configurable grates. Promises flexible smoke options. Some question whether Pit Boss can compete in this price range - higher than what they have been known for. I would like to see more independent reviews.

$500 to $1,000
The Members Mark obviously has to compromise in some places to come in at $499, but sure offers a nice set up and their own take on the slide in for wood chunks. Theirs looks like it might be harder to clean out, but you are getting most of the previously exclusive to Camp Chef option for half the price! Reviews so far look promising, but we need more information.

PELLET GRILLS!

Trying to organize what we have been seeing here with regard to new and recent pellet grills:

+$1,000
Camp Chef Woodwind Pro - Hard to complain about the good reviews of the cooking results with the added slide in box. Mostly positive remarks about decent quality - not Lone Star quality - in this price range.

New Pit Boss Titan - I am still trying to see one of these. My Academy doesn't have it yet. Sure love those stainless, configurable grates. Promises flexible smoke options. Some question whether Pit Boss can compete in this price range - higher than what they have been known for. I would like to see more independent reviews.

$500 to $1,000
The Members Mark obviously has to compromise in some places to come in at $499, but sure offers a nice set up and their own take on the slide in for wood chunks. Theirs looks like it might be harder to clean out, but you are getting most of the previously exclusive to Camp Chef option for half the price! Reviews so far look promising, but we need more information.
Nice Jon!! This is all good info.

Back