California Tri Tip in Wisconsin

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
removed a half pound of fat from a 3.2 pound tri tip...

IMG_1026.JPG

tossed the fat but seasoned the tri with Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Rub

IMG_1027.JPG

sliced up a coupla sweet red onions

IMG_1028.JPG

fired up the Santa Maria Grill with Stubb's briquettes and hickory wood

IMG_1029.JPG

another sun sets in semi-fashionable Raymond...

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

removed at an internal temp of 123ºF and rested for at least 15 minutes before slicing...

IMG_1050.JPG

served on wheat rolls with those onions and roasted Brussel sprouts...

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

if you've had tri tip before, I ain't tellin' you nothing you already don't know:
This Stuff Is AWESOME!! Think I have five more in the freezer:D
Thanks for stoppin' by!
smiley-happy020.gif

Thanks Dave, but I couldn't tell ya the brew this time... could be the High Life but then could have been an ale of some sort...
sheesh, it was only last night... but I have/had four different brews to choose...

Tri tip + Santa Maria grill + Jim Lampe = Holy Trinity!!!
I envy you the contents of the freezer, I have not seen Tri Tip for months:(

Nice crust on that beautiful TT and it is really nice to see that SM grill make an appearance too!!!

You always do it up right Jim...love me some Tri tip...it's been awhile so I need to fix that!! Love that Santa Maria grill...I would love to add one to my collection...reminds me of real cowboy cooking!

Great post!!

Great tri-tip cook! I usually always have 2 or 3 in the freezer out here. I cook them often for family get togethers !

I just made my first Tri-Tip 2 weeks ago. It was buffalo meat from Wild Idea Buffalo. It is an awesome cut of meat.

Unfortunately, living on the east coast, I have no idea how to get this cut locally. Does anyone know if it goes by a different name on the east coast? I would love to just as a local butcher for tri-tip or something else and not look stupid doing it.

Jim, that is one nice looking TT and that plate is perfect!
Every time I see that grill it reminds me of when Barb and I would go up to the wineries in Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez in California. A couple of the wineries would throw a party for their club members and Barb and I would go up for the weekend. They would cook TTs and chicken on these huge Santa Maria grills using local oak. Really great stuff!

Back