California Tri Tip in Wisconsin

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
removed a half pound of fat from a 3.2 pound tri tip...

IMG_1026.JPG

tossed the fat but seasoned the tri with Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Rub

IMG_1027.JPG

sliced up a coupla sweet red onions

IMG_1028.JPG

fired up the Santa Maria Grill with Stubb's briquettes and hickory wood

IMG_1029.JPG

another sun sets in semi-fashionable Raymond...

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

removed at an internal temp of 123ºF and rested for at least 15 minutes before slicing...

IMG_1050.JPG

served on wheat rolls with those onions and roasted Brussel sprouts...

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

if you've had tri tip before, I ain't tellin' you nothing you already don't know:
This Stuff Is AWESOME!! Think I have five more in the freezer:D
Thanks for stoppin' by!
smiley-happy020.gif

Thanks Dave, but I couldn't tell ya the brew this time... could be the High Life but then could have been an ale of some sort...
sheesh, it was only last night... but I have/had four different brews to choose...

Tri tip + Santa Maria grill + Jim Lampe = Holy Trinity!!!
I envy you the contents of the freezer, I have not seen Tri Tip for months:(

You always do it up right Jim...love me some Tri tip...it's been awhile so I need to fix that!! Love that Santa Maria grill...I would love to add one to my collection...reminds me of real cowboy cooking!

Great post!!

Great tri-tip cook! I usually always have 2 or 3 in the freezer out here. I cook them often for family get togethers !

I just made my first Tri-Tip 2 weeks ago. It was buffalo meat from Wild Idea Buffalo. It is an awesome cut of meat.

Unfortunately, living on the east coast, I have no idea how to get this cut locally. Does anyone know if it goes by a different name on the east coast? I would love to just as a local butcher for tri-tip or something else and not look stupid doing it.

Jim, that is one nice looking TT and that plate is perfect!
Every time I see that grill it reminds me of when Barb and I would go up to the wineries in Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez in California. A couple of the wineries would throw a party for their club members and Barb and I would go up for the weekend. They would cook TTs and chicken on these huge Santa Maria grills using local oak. Really great stuff!

Back