Butter

I stopped buying LOL and all the other "US" type butters. I don't recall how long ago it was but it was on ATK or Cooks Country a number of years ago they did a breakdown of American butter vs European ones. One thing that truly sold me on only buying European ones is the water content. American butters typically are over 30% ADDED water, and who knows what else. While ones like KerryGold (especially being grass fed) is very high in Omega 3 and more healthful fats. And you're actually buying butter not water. So yeah even though I might spend (well now anyway) $7 or $8 per lb at least I am getting more butter. And something actually good for me. Especially when compared to the chemical concoctions sometimes people call "spreads". Even my dr told me to never ever use that "stuff"

Reasonable thought there Larry, I thought it was something like 20% but, either way that’s kind of a premium for water!
my mother was born on a dairy farm in Wisconsin (Delavan) and she used to tell stories about how people would “bootleg“ margarine in!
I stopped using anything but real butter when my parents moved out of the house when I graduated high school (Dad took over a parish in Hastings) that was 1975(?). Spread stuff? There is just something weird about that to me so, no, no, I’ll pass on it.

I stopped buying LOL and all the other "US" type butters. I don't recall how long ago it was but it was on ATK or Cooks Country a number of years ago they did a breakdown of American butter vs European ones. One thing that truly sold me on only buying European ones is the water content. American butters typically are over 30% ADDED water, and who knows what else. While ones like KerryGold (especially being grass fed) is very high in Omega 3 and more healthful fats. And you're actually buying butter not water. So yeah even though I might spend (well now anyway) $7 or $8 per lb at least I am getting more butter. And something actually good for me. Especially when compared to the chemical concoctions sometimes people call "spreads". Even my dr told me to never ever use that "stuff"
That is why I switched over to KerryGold, but their prices are getting way out of control.

That is why I switched over to KerryGold, but their prices are getting way out of control.
When something is good I pay for it. I'll make cuts elsewhere in places those cuts won't be a problem. I.E. I'll buy domestic vodka instead of the fancy import, or drop to choice beef in some places rather than prime. But in places where it really makes a difference in quality or healthfulness of the product. I don't scrimp

Never bought primers at Sam's or Costco but would be willing to try them. Liquor at Costco? Never seen that either! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to this thread I looked up Kerry Gold. Now I use Land of Lakes and Kerry Gold, the top two recommended butters. 👍

Anyone notice butter going through the roof? Last week I was at Costco and noticed the price on Kerrygold butter. The previous week I had bought some there. It was right around $8.50 for the 2lb box. Last week I was going to buy more since in anticipation of holiday baking I know it's going to be needed. Plus I really like that it's grass fed, high in Omega 3 and has much higher actual butter content rather than just air and water added to it like US produced main brand butter. But, holy smoke it was nearly $15! Nearly double the price!
Eggs too. Recently (maybe about a month ago) I happened to be at Sams and noticed eggs were up to $5.50 dozen! Lately we've been buying eggs from a local egg farmer. Organic and free range. Wife simply stops and gets them on way home from work. We pay $4.50 doz for those. But, they're fresh and I know where they came from
Interesting article that meshes nicely with this thread:

He says butter prices reached record highs in September but are expected to come down by the end of the year. He attributes higher prices to more demand—butter consumption rose to 6.5 pounds per person in 2021, from 5.6 pounds in 2015, he says—and lower supply. Butter inventories in September were down 18% from a year ago, he says, due in part to higher exports and labor shortages as well as our growing appetite for cheese, which uses a lot of milk fat that would otherwise make butter.

Well, it’s all been pretty crazy! I just saw an ”Natural” turkey at the little grocery store down the street priced at $125.73!
I looked at it twice, all I could do was, laugh! I laughed pretty full belly and still can’t believe that! I’ll give them the fact that they are still a relatively small farm but, I don’t think their chickens are as fabulous as many people do, they are still “farmed” after all.
Grump, Grouse and gripe! Hey, GET OFF MY LAWN!😉

Don't rule out the TURDUCKEN!

I was in Costco yesterday and pleased that butter was down about $4 since my last purchase. I bought 2 x 4 packs, that means the price will now drop further.

I've taken to buying the butter in the green box (Kirkland grass fed brand). It comes from New Zealand rather than Ireland. Did a blind taste test, consistency test and so on. Cannot tell it from Kerrygold and 25% less price. Great stuff

My wife used to buy it I begged her to stop as I know this is crazy but I didn't like the color of it reminded me to much of margarine which I grew up with and never ate again after I moved out. Nor could I tell the difference from Land O Lakes. :) I only use salted butter when I cook but my wife uses unsalted for baking.

Back