Butcher paper width

Van DeWald

TVWBB Fan
Going to get some pink butcher paper to do briskets in. I've only done brisket flats so far, only because a full packer is too much meat for just 2 people for myself and my wife IMO. My question, what width paper would be best to wrap your basic brisket flat? 18" or 24"? Going to give it a try. Seems like the foil makes my bark a little soggy, and wanted to try paper instead of foil. Thanks.

Last edited:
Going to get some pink butcher paper to do briskets in. I've only done brisket flats so far, only because a full packer is too much meat for just 2 people for myself and my wife IMO. My question, what width paper would be best for your basis brisket flat? 18" or 24"? Going to give it a try. Seems like the foil makes my bark a little soggy, and wanted to try paper instead of foil. Thanks.
24" for sure. You only want to wrap it one wrap and you want to wrap it evenly and to do so, you'll need the 24"

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/24-x-700-40-white-butcher-paper-roll/43324TAR.html

Let us know how this works out. I stood in restaurant depot staring at a roll of paper, but chickened out. I'm really interested in your results.
Also, don't worry about the packer being too much food. Your friends, family, and coworkers will be easily enlisted as taste testers. It'll be pricey, but it will also be fun and educational. I don't know what your habits are, but I don't really have any expensive hobbies. When I wanna drop $50 - $60 on meat, I can usually get the authorization from my Chief Financial Officer (wife) without a problem.

Brett.

You can use 18" also that is what Arron Franklin does. He use two 18x30 inch sheets according to his book that has pictures in it also for you to go by.

I used the paper from POS paper its 24 inches wide and that works well for me. Franklin does use the 18". He's got a lot more practice at wrapping than I do! I think he also typically cooks smaller briskets. Its hard for me to get them smaller than 12 to 15 lbs. If you are just wrapping a flat, 18 definitely works well. I think you'll like the butcher paper as its kind of in between wrapping and not wrapping. I don't like my bark to be too hard where it's like jerky but I definitely want it there. The brisket turns out more moist than unwrapped usually but not as much as foiled. It's really just up to you. wrapped, unwrapped, foiled, butcher paper are all awesome in my book.

Back