Butcher Paper Questions

GSmith

Seems like butcher paper is becoming a popular wrapping method (I'm sure Aaron Franklin has nothing to do with this ;)) and I'd like to give it a try. However, I want to make sure I'm using something that isn't going to be harmful to the meat (and those eventually eating it) during the cook. A couple questions:

This seems like a common sense one, but you definitely want paper that is not coated on either side, correct?
When I see something that says "kraft paper", is that the same as butcher paper?
Is white paper a no-no since it was bleached at one point, or doesn't that matter?

I found this on Amazon and it seemed like it would work. It says it's USDA/FDA approved for food use: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004NG8PIQ/tvwb-20

I may not order that because it's probably more than I need, but if it's safe I might look around for something similar locally. Any expertise on this would be really helpful. Thanks everyone.

Though i'm not much a "wrapper" I've bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004NG8P04/tvwb-20 and it's a high quality product. Bonus is my kids use it to draw on too.

Though I'm thinking that the one I bought is the one you linked bleached white! Maybe next time i'll buy yours.

edit: my bad this one has a film and mine does not. I don't see the one I have on amazon anymore

Last edited:
I think butcher paper is basically just a food-grade version of kraft paper. If you go to an actual butcher, a lot of times the paper has a plastic or silicone lining on one side, and I think you'd not want this for wrapping BBQ. Even if those linings didn't melt under the heat, the advantage of wrapping in paper is that it allows the stuff inside to breathe. I think any coating would be a bad idea, as it would hinder this breathing process.

Yes, you can get the authentic pink stuff on Amazon in 18" width. Or order the 24" width from ABCO Paper in Austin at 800-556-2677. But I think the brown kraft paper should work, too. If you try it, let us know your experience.

chris I just reread your smoke posted by dave, followed the link, and I noticed in the article you linked Franklin said if he had was doing a small amount of briskets he probably wouldn't bother wrapping. not trying to derail the thread, but I thought it was interesting. and I quote:

http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-aaron-franklin-of-franklin-barbecue/

If we were only doing five briskets then I would probably never wrap them, but when you’ve got that many cooking it’s nice to get them off, throw them on the counter and let them rest. It’s really there for protection, but an added side effect is that it helps retain moisture.

I used the 24x1000 brown butcher paper from POSpaper.

Its not the actual stuff that Franklin uses but I got it from the Harry Soo web site comments. It's the same specifications and food safe. It's a little easier than dealing with the other distributors. You don't have to request a quote or talk on the phone with anyone. On the other hand, you'll never use that much butcher paper.

Franklin uses the 18 inch Oren I believe but he also cooks smaller briskets. I figured the 24 inch would be easier to work with. I've only cooked 1 brisket with it so far and it wasn't miraculously better or anything. It was somewhere between using foil and not. I didn't particularly like it on ribs or pork butt. In Franklin's book he says he uses foil for those meats.

After wrapping with paper I've noticed that the internal temp of what I'm cooking can initially go down a few degrees. Franklin spritzes before wrapping with paper and that might be key to making it work right.

Last edited:
GSmith,
What the Webstaurant Store says about it:

Are There Peaches in Peach Treated Paper (alt. What is Peach Treated Paper)?

There are no peaches in peach treated paper. Much like butcher paper, peach treated paper is coated with sizing for wet strength and leak resistance. But unlike other papers, peach treat paper allows the meat to breathe, allowing it to maintain an attractive color. Also, the darker color hides any juices that happen to leak. You should not freeze in peach treated paper (or butcher paper) unless you first wrap the product in plastic.

Back