Burgers on WSM

George P

TVWBB Member
I am going to do a brisket for dinner and thought about doing some burgers for lunch. Anyone have advice for smoking burgers?

I am going to put the burgers on top brisket on bottom. I don't use water. I am an old restaurant guy, I use foil and sand.

Sorry my advise was for burgers, not for brisket. I didn't realize you're doing both. Take a look at Jim Lampe's brisket done today. Do that and you'll be thrilled

I wouldn't think doing burgers at low-and-slow brisket temps is a good idea. There's too much bacteria in ground meat to cook at those temps for long. IMO.

My best results for smoking burgers have come cranking the heat up as high as I can (can't remember exactly, somewhere between 350-400 I believe) and removing the water pan. Essentially my WSM 22 then works like a grill, but with the rack a bit higher above the coals, obviously. Love throwing a pecan / hickory mix of wood at them, and I season them with Plowboy's Bovine Bold. Absolute favorite burgers I've ever made, and a unique taste unlike any other burger I've had.

Back