Brisket Temp Question

CorySwartz

So I started an overnight smoke last night. Crashed out for a little longer than I wanted at 4:30am where the temp was around 230. Woke up at 8 and it was down to 150ish. Had no problem getting temps back up with some more charcoal. Other than lengthening cooking time, has anyone had issues with a brisket where there was a big drop in temp?

It sounds like you didn't have enough fuel in the ring. I would never put $40.00+ on the smoker with $2 worth of charcoal and go to sleep.

Cory, I think you'll be fine. I had this happen a few years back on my 22.5 when I had switched the meat probe and oven probe with the monitors. When I switched them my notes say I was cooking at 158. This was at the start and was cooking there for about 4 hours before I realized it. The brisket end up fine and in the end only added about 2.5 extra hours of cook time. Honestly it was one of my best briskets ever... Perhaps I should replicate it. Any way I think you'll be fine. Stay the course and enjoy it.

I really think you'll be fine. Let us know how it turns out in the end. Funny I have a brisket going right now too

Last edited:
It sounds like you didn't have enough fuel in the ring. I would never put $40.00+ on the smoker with $2 worth of charcoal and go to sleep.

What kind of comment is that J Bowie?

As members here we help each other with positive and constructive comments and or suggestions.

I think You will be alright. I have done that also with pork and it will just take a little longer to finish cooking.

Post pics of your cook and share.

Just pulled it off to rest. I'll be sure to post an update. This cold snap and snow has been eating up the charcoal. Luckily I was able to pick up 2 2x15lb packs at Walmart for $8 each 2 pack. I couldn't believe that price...

Both briskets turned out great. Split off the point and cubed for burnt ends. Flats turned out great. Pictures will be coming soon. Thanks all for the input!

Last edited:
Had two briskets for this smoke... Only snapped pics of the first one. Foodsaver time is set for tomorrow. Going to be eating good for a while!

Back